Yo! Here to figure some stuff out.

Hi all.

I'm a 43yo male who suspects quite strongly that I am autistic.  It's difficult to know for sure, as I have a hearing disability which has affected me since birth (discovered when I was 6) and struggled with anxiety, depression and stress most of my adult life.

It's hard to be 100% sure in myself as I've managed to get to my age without any suspicion, but in retrospect I can see the markers of symptoms throughout my life.  It's also hard because I've not exhibited some of the symptoms at all, at least to my memory or knowledge.

Despite my hearing loss, I love ambient music - it's an ocean of calm sounds in a world I don't quite understand.  I've never listened to anything popular, mostly obscure stuff.  I love sci-fi books, film, but not so much TV, which I barely watch at all.

So I'll probably be asking some nagging questions over at the adult forum, as I've got my GP appointment to try and get a referral (and not go through failing with counselling again).

Parents
  • I know someone else of whom is seeking assessment who also has a hearing disability to have in the past been told their symptoms are because of their deafness, to this time around be both educated and armed with an Rdos and AQ report indicating neurodiversity.

• Thanks! 

I've taken a RITVO test which scored very high, as well as the Aspie Test which indicated Neuro Diverse.  I've also managed to source a leaflet for GP's on advice of people with suspected autism, what to do.  Our practice is really good and empathetic (although it did take a few attempts to get counselling), so I'm hoping they are pretty receptive to my concerns.  I'm going in well-armed with paperwork that shows enough to prompt them to make the referral, and not fob me off to more counselling (which, in my case, hasn't worked).

The GP I'm seeing is very good - he's phoned my wife up to follow up on some things she has seen him for.  A few of them are like that there.

The symptoms of my deafness are certainly why I have learned to behave in some ways, but doesn't count for all the things that have gone on.  Why do I follow a grindy daily routine?  Why fidget with keyrings all the time?  Why can't I hold a hobby for more than a few weeks or a month?  None of these things are due to my hearing, I'd bet.

• Thanks! 

I've taken a RITVO test which scored very high, as well as the Aspie Test which indicated Neuro Diverse.  I've also managed to source a leaflet for GP's on advice of people with suspected autism, what to do.  Our practice is really good and empathetic (although it did take a few attempts to get counselling), so I'm hoping they are pretty receptive to my concerns.  I'm going in well-armed with paperwork that shows enough to prompt them to make the referral, and not fob me off to more counselling (which, in my case, hasn't worked).

The GP I'm seeing is very good - he's phoned my wife up to follow up on some things she has seen him for.  A few of them are like that there.

The symptoms of my deafness are certainly why I have learned to behave in some ways, but doesn't count for all the things that have gone on.  Why do I follow a grindy daily routine?  Why fidget with keyrings all the time?  Why can't I hold a hobby for more than a few weeks or a month?  None of these things are due to my hearing, I'd bet.

Children
No Data