New - where now??

Hi all

I've just been diagnosed ASD at the age of 55 having really struggled all my life to fit in and many disastrous relationships!  I went down the private route for the diagnosis as I just needed to know what was 'wrong' with me.  However, I've had the diagnosis now for over two weeks now but still haven't told my family, including my husband.  I didn't tell him I was going for an assessment so I just can't seem to find the words to tell him.  Has anyone any words of advise to deliver this news without frightening him!!!  My family has alway jokingly said to him that he needs a medal for putting up with me.  I seem to want to tell. my family but my 'friends' are different.  Some think I'm odd / outspoken / funny anyway so maybe it won't come as a shock but how do I start the conversation.  I seem to be worried about letting the genie out of the bottle.  Thanks for listening as feeling very lost with all this at the moment but at least a lot of my past makes more sense to me know so I'm hoping that the future will be a brighter place for me AND my husband . 

Parents
  • I seriously doubt they'll be surprised.   I'd stick to just telling your husband first and let the dust settle.  He'll have loads of questions and he'll need time to process the information.

Be careful with telling family - depending on the relationship, they can be very odd and may use it as a way of looking down on you.

• I seriously doubt they'll be surprised.   I'd stick to just telling your husband first and let the dust settle.  He'll have loads of questions and he'll need time to process the information.

Be careful with telling family - depending on the relationship, they can be very odd and may use it as a way of looking down on you.

Children
No Data