Hello I’m new here :)

Hey just wanted to say hello, I was diagnosed in 2008 with Aspergers and 2013 with ADHD. Looking into ways of having better self care and support as I have possibly neglected myself over the years sInce diagnosis, due to possibly having feelings of doubt and denial. Doesn’t help when people say ‘but you don’t look autistic!’ I sure many can relate to this! 

Parents
  • Welcome to the forum. Lots of people seem to have a very narrow and inaccurate view of what autism is - so when they say 'you don't look autistic' I am not sure they really know enough about autism to judge.

Don't let their own lack of knowledge or 'doubts' affect you. You are an individual and are just as entitled to empathy and support as much as anyone else. 

• Yes I have noticed that over the years, how very little people know about autism, but think they do by watch ‘Rainman’ Grin I think that didn’t help with me being open about it to people, and I’m still not to be honest. People are just so judgemental. It has been hard not to be affected but I’m starting to try and change that. 

• Yes I have noticed that over the years, how very little people know about autism, but think they do by watch ‘Rainman’ Grin I think that didn’t help with me being open about it to people, and I’m still not to be honest. People are just so judgemental. It has been hard not to be affected but I’m starting to try and change that. 

Children
No Data