Grandson

Hello everyone

I have just signed up to this forum, reason is my grandson is thought to have Autism, he is 2 years old. His test is at the end of Mar 2019. I don't know what to expect, what will this mean to his life etc. 

I adore my grandson and want to help in any way I can. Please can someone tell me the best things to do. 

I feel so alone, I can't tell my daughter how upset I am as she is trying to be strong. 

Please help. 

Grandma

Parents Reply Children
  • Hi, 

My daughter is still awaiting diagnosis but as a young child she really hated eye contact unless she initiated it in which case her stare was actually very unsettling! We didn't try and force her to look at us but did ask her to look our direction not to make eye contact if she didnt want to but just to show we had her attention, she is very good at looking at your nose, chin or ear! This for us seemed a happy middle ground and now she is 8 she does things on her terms as we always told her if it makes her feel uncomfortable don't do it. 

As another user has pointed out it can be extremely exhausting and distressing to some people so do be careful of that x