Grandson

Hello everyone

I have just signed up to this forum, reason is my grandson is thought to have Autism, he is 2 years old. His test is at the end of Mar 2019. I don't know what to expect, what will this mean to his life etc. 

I adore my grandson and want to help in any way I can. Please can someone tell me the best things to do. 

I feel so alone, I can't tell my daughter how upset I am as she is trying to be strong. 

Please help. 

Grandma

Parents
  • Hi everyone, thank you so much for the replies it really means a lot. 

I was feeling alone in a way, I am there for my daughter, her husband and of course my gorgeous grandson, who I call my 'Barry White' as he is my first, my last, my everything.

I joined the forum for guidance and to talk to people who have similar things going on.

My little man has speech delay, is not sociable with strangers but it very sociable with those close to him.

I work full time over 4 days so that I can spend the other day with my little fella. We go to different places, we have done all sorts including a trip to Jersey just the 2 of us. I have some very precious memories already and can't wait for every occasion to see him. 

At last I feel there is someone out there. Many thanks Grandma

• How beautiful that you are there for him. Please do not be sad. Celebrate what he can do and be glad that when you know the areas he has difficulties there are plenty of people here who can support you. I have high functioning Asd and co-morbid conditions so I have been able to find ways for my boys to deal with their autism at a young age. Please always feel free to ask if you need to. There are many parents and grandparents who can share the beauty of autism with you, and the moments when we all struggle. We are all different. Despite my difficulties I have taught for over 35 years and worked as Assistant Principal in an Academy. My advice would be to listen to the difficulties so you understand where he will need help, but really hear his strengths. His strengths are there to help him in the moments he needs but he cannot do this without the loving, guiding hands of his family. Bless you for being one of these strengths for him. 

• How beautiful that you are there for him. Please do not be sad. Celebrate what he can do and be glad that when you know the areas he has difficulties there are plenty of people here who can support you. I have high functioning Asd and co-morbid conditions so I have been able to find ways for my boys to deal with their autism at a young age. Please always feel free to ask if you need to. There are many parents and grandparents who can share the beauty of autism with you, and the moments when we all struggle. We are all different. Despite my difficulties I have taught for over 35 years and worked as Assistant Principal in an Academy. My advice would be to listen to the difficulties so you understand where he will need help, but really hear his strengths. His strengths are there to help him in the moments he needs but he cannot do this without the loving, guiding hands of his family. Bless you for being one of these strengths for him. 

Children
No Data