Coping with quirks

My husband is going through the autism diagnosis (I’m 100% sure he will be diagnosed, and from what he told me about the interview it’s pretty much a done deal), and he has quite a few things that seem to drive him nuts that I don’t always know about about in advance.

He is freaked out by wet paper, peas, beans, sweetcorn etc. I know of those ones so I do my best to make sure those things aren’t around. Like if there’s a jar in the sink with a label on it, he won’t wash up.

however last night he got all stressed out because I had a glass of water on the bedside table. He said ‘I bought you a water bottle so you didn’t do that.’ And I dropped a plate the other day and now he’s saying I’m a fire risk because I spilled some water in a laptop 2 years ago...

i love him to bits but it’s pretty confusing. 

Parents
  • I can relate; I have some quite strange freaky out things - eg I can't stand it being dark and the curtains not pulled, so I won't go in the room until someone pulls the curtains. I have a phobia of tomatoes, and at times have to leave the room if someone is eating them.

I guess it's difficult when it's the ones you don't know about, or ones that at the time didn't seem an issue to you.

• Thank you for replying. I am trying to understand it more. I think that may include paying more attention to small things he’s said that didn’t seem to be a big deal.

I didn’t realise having glasses of water next to the bed freaked him out, even though he bought me a water bottleFace palm. And I guess he did buy a humidity sensor a while ago. I just didn’t piece it all together... 

• Thank you for replying. I am trying to understand it more. I think that may include paying more attention to small things he’s said that didn’t seem to be a big deal.

I didn’t realise having glasses of water next to the bed freaked him out, even though he bought me a water bottleFace palm. And I guess he did buy a humidity sensor a while ago. I just didn’t piece it all together... 

Children
  • HI there, I just wanted to say, I can relate too. My child has just been diagnosed and this helps to explain certain behavioural quirks I have to deal with. This is all happening along with an eating disorder and sleepness nights. As a result, food gets pounced on (in secret) before it is cooked through properly - or leftovers are taken from the bin. I have to deal with meltdowns if any crumbs are found on the table.

I feel as though I need to stay a few steps ahead, to try to anticipate possible outbursts or meltdowns. Normally I feel calm about it but sometimes, just sometimes, it all gets quite overwhelming