A brief intro and a question :)

Hi everyone, this is a bit daunting sharing myself with the wider community, but I hope I will be made welcome.

I am a (fairly) young person diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, so I'm not too badly affected compared to the low functional end of the spectrum, yet I do really struggle when it comes to lack of structure and sensory overload. 

Recently, through my education, I have had many people, whether it is said to me directly or overheard, say things about Autism that are plain cruel or wrong, so much so that I have decided to create a list of them that I eventually transform into a small awareness campaign for my school. (Seems ambitious but I'm up for it Slight smile )

So what I want to know from you is: Has someone ever said something to you about Autism specifically that has upset you, and if so, would you mind sharing? It would be really useful for me.

Thank you ever so much,

Oliver Russell

Parents
  • I've never had a comment made to me about being autistic specifically. But I have had many comments about behaviours or tendencies I have being weird. Now I don't really mind the term weird, I probably am weird. But I think weird is often used in a very negative way. What bothers me about it is that these behaviours and tendencies can't just be accepted. I can't just be allowed to be me. This makes me very self conscious and increases my masking. I don't want to mask though. 

Comments I have heard made to or about others that annoy me are things like "But they don't look autistic" or "But they can make eye contact" or the assumptions that are made about intelligence - either the person will be slow or a genius. 

It's a great idea to do this. Good luck with it.

• I've never had a comment made to me about being autistic specifically. But I have had many comments about behaviours or tendencies I have being weird. Now I don't really mind the term weird, I probably am weird. But I think weird is often used in a very negative way. What bothers me about it is that these behaviours and tendencies can't just be accepted. I can't just be allowed to be me. This makes me very self conscious and increases my masking. I don't want to mask though. 

Comments I have heard made to or about others that annoy me are things like "But they don't look autistic" or "But they can make eye contact" or the assumptions that are made about intelligence - either the person will be slow or a genius. 

It's a great idea to do this. Good luck with it.

Children
No Data