Newly diagnosed with ASD Aspergers profile this morning

Hi,

this is my first post on here. I Had the ADOS and psychiatric assessment this morning and was told that I have ASD/Aspergers, which I have suspected for a while.

part of me is frustrated that I wasn’t diagnosed as a child (I’m 37 now) and that I missed all the early intervention stuff.

part of me is relieved as it explains so much of how my life has been and the difficulties I have had. I guess now I know for definite what the issue is I can try to manage symptoms. I’ve been working through a social skills book the last few months which has helped so much. I really wish that I’d had that book 30 years ago, a step by step guide to social interaction, it would’ve saved me a lot of rejection.

mainly I’m feeling numb and not sure how I should feel.

Anyone else freshly diagnosed or awaiting diagnosis out there?

Parents
  • I'm glad I wasn't diagnosed until I was 42 (10 years ago). I suspect that my career and sucess would have been very different if I had been labelled at an early age.

As it was, I had never considered that I was faulty - I just thought those around me were lazy, incompetent and generally disappointing humans. They were all talk and no action - and even then, they didn't do what they said they would.

If I had been diagnosed as a child, I think the stigma would have pre-limited my career choice.

• That is a good attitude. And this perspective makes a lot of sense as well. The ASD label is associated with a lot of stigma and it may give people an excuse to treat you differently. I like your way of thinking. Slight smile

After diagnosis, I informed work and my manager decided to use it against me - career suicide.

I grew up in the 70s when any 'different' kids were sent to special remedial schools where the expectation was to become proficient in tieing you own shoelaces by the age of 18.

• Hi Plastic, I am not autistic to my knowledge, but my son age 35 is severely Autistic following being deprived of oxygen at birth. He cannot tie up his laces.

During his PIP investigation - Replacing Disabled Living Allowance.- I claimed that his special shoes that he was wearing was special equipment. This they are; but look smart and stylish, a little bit expensive, but they allow him to secure his laces by just simply pulling them, they work on a sliding lock and its simple for him to release them.

As a previous C.Eng like myself who worked on Commissioning "Jason'. You will appreciate the simplicity. Otherwise somebody would have to tie his laces for him.

I was born late 30's being 79.

So for readers who's disability needs this help claim it on your PIP Question form, and wear them when you go for a PIP Medical / Interview.  

• Oh and I REALLY hope SEN schools have improved since the 70's. that sounds very demeaning!

• There was a long road near me with a few schools on it - an infant school, a junior school with attached 'remedial' section and another big, old house converted into a residential unit for 'problem' children from some inner-London council farming out the trouble-makers.

They all had a reputation for total failure.

• There was a long road near me with a few schools on it - an infant school, a junior school with attached 'remedial' section and another big, old house converted into a residential unit for 'problem' children from some inner-London council farming out the trouble-makers.

They all had a reputation for total failure.

Children
No Data