Hello. Diagnosed last month.

Hello,

I was diagnosed last month via the NHS. I am a female in my forties.

Wish I'd been diagnosed as a younger person, so that I could have received support I needed.

Life has been a difficult struggle, where I have been badly treated and also misdiagnosed.

Splat

Parents
  • I am so sorry to hear the painful things you had to go through before being diagnosed. I too am female, diagnosed autistic 3 weeks ago tomorrow at the age of 58. I decided to opt for a private assessment as the NHS waiting list is long. I struggled to get my GP to believe that I could be autistic so I didn't mention the assessment until my diagnosis was actually confirmed.

This forum has been very helpful to me in coming to terms with my diagnosis so late in life. As you say had support been available when we were younger things could have been very different. I hope it will be better for future generations of autistic girls and women. I also hope that our diagnosis brings us some kind of resolution.

• I am so sorry to hear the painful things you had to go through before being diagnosed. I too am female, diagnosed autistic 3 weeks ago tomorrow at the age of 58. I decided to opt for a private assessment as the NHS waiting list is long. I struggled to get my GP to believe that I could be autistic so I didn't mention the assessment until my diagnosis was actually confirmed.

This forum has been very helpful to me in coming to terms with my diagnosis so late in life. As you say had support been available when we were younger things could have been very different. I hope it will be better for future generations of autistic girls and women. I also hope that our diagnosis brings us some kind of resolution.

Children
No Data