New here

I set up an appointment in a few weeks to talk to someone about an autism assessment. 

I'm 48, F and in the USA. 

I am second guessing the appointment. I dont want to spend 1000+$ if im not likely to fit ASD. 

How many people actually are ADS that figure that out themselves? 

My husband said something twice in a week about me being autistic, he is a counselor and routinely sees clients with ASD. So, i googled it and feel there is a fair chance i do fit the asd traits. He could be wrong though. We didnt discuss it further. 

IdI like to know. But then maybe I wouldn't. 

Is there something that i can do to or know that will help me decide if an assessment is the right step? 

Thanks

Lisa

Parents
  • Hi Lisa

I'm 58 F and in the UK and I've just started the autism assessment process.

Here's a link to a resource about how autism presents in women which I found helpful: 

https://taniaannmarshall.wordpress.com/2013/03/26/moving-towards-a-female-profile-the-unique-characteristics-abilities-and-talents-of-asperwomen-adult-women-with-asperger-syndrome/

I'm not sure what the USA assessment process is - it varies quite a bit here in the UK.

My assessment is going to be made up of the following components:

• Initial discussion meeting with clinical psychologist (already completed)
    • AQ/EQ questionnaires
    • Full developmental history (interview with me and clinical psychologist)
    • Development history questionnaire (completed by my parents / siblings)
    • ADOS observation (involving two clinical psychologists) 
    • Report on findings
    • Feedback meeting with clinical psychologist to discuss report 
    • 3 x follow-up sessions with clinical psychologist to provide advice / support 

Depending on how things go I have been told extra components may be added (e.g. speech and language or cognitive assessment). 

It all seems very thorough. 

With best wishes 

Rose 

• Hi Lisa

I'm 58 F and in the UK and I've just started the autism assessment process.

Here's a link to a resource about how autism presents in women which I found helpful: 

https://taniaannmarshall.wordpress.com/2013/03/26/moving-towards-a-female-profile-the-unique-characteristics-abilities-and-talents-of-asperwomen-adult-women-with-asperger-syndrome/

I'm not sure what the USA assessment process is - it varies quite a bit here in the UK.

My assessment is going to be made up of the following components:

• Initial discussion meeting with clinical psychologist (already completed)
    • AQ/EQ questionnaires
    • Full developmental history (interview with me and clinical psychologist)
    • Development history questionnaire (completed by my parents / siblings)
    • ADOS observation (involving two clinical psychologists) 
    • Report on findings
    • Feedback meeting with clinical psychologist to discuss report 
    • 3 x follow-up sessions with clinical psychologist to provide advice / support 

Depending on how things go I have been told extra components may be added (e.g. speech and language or cognitive assessment). 

It all seems very thorough. 

With best wishes 

Rose 

Children
No Data