Hello

Hi, this is the first time I have ever used a forum and not even sure if I have aspergers but wanted to connect on the off chance that someone may be able to help me.

I think I was happy enough as a child but when I went to secondary school that whole transition for me just didn't happen and I feel that I have struggled with trying to find myself ever since. Thus the shy akward girl that conforms because it was expected of her but the result was a teenage anorexic and an attempted suicide before I was 15. I have spent 15 years on anti depressants, I have tried discussing with my GP that I feel there is something else wrong with me other than being depressed  but I feel that I don't explain myself very well and get ushered out the door with the prescription in my hand and told to keep on taking the pills if they keep me going and perhaps do CBT and refer me to a talking therapy.

Basically this idea about Aspergers came from a discussion someone was having with another person at work they mentioned their daughter has autism and I went away and did some research and found that the more I read about Aspergers it was like a text book about me. I have since seen my GP twice but they will not refer for a diagnosis because basically I am functioning. The GP said I am not ill and have a chronic disorder that I need to learn to manage better... perhaps he is right, I don't know but I cant shake the fact that something connected about the Aspergers and feel that I need to know one way or the other. I have done lots of those on line test which say that I am on the spectrum and should see my GP, I have read books about women that have been diagnosed in late life.

I do not have the funds to pay privately otherwise I would, I don't want to waste NHS resources but for my peace of mind it would be good for my soul to know one way or the other, but I am now lost cause I don't know where to go for help?

One of the reasons that I am desperate for help is that I think my daughter may also suffer with Aspergers, she is in her 20s and is struggling with life but at the same time she is one of the most inspirational people I know, it would be nice to be able to give her some guidance on this journey.

Any advice would be nice

• Hello NAS38825,

Glad to hear that you haven't given up hope! It seems quite 'normal' for the waiting lists to be long. (I had to wait almost a year!). I know some people do not want to know their diagnosis; however, I think having a diagnosis means that it explains a lot (behavioural traits, that are not necessarily well received, especially in a work environment). Also it opens other avenues such as opportunities for work place support and educational support that other wise would not be available. Not everyone one the Autistic spectrum has Dyslexia nor do they necessarily have intercultural impairment. In my case I hope that I can find a away of moving through my career, rather than being static.

Wish you luck with your onward journey and hope that you are successful in finding the correct diagnosis. 

• Thank you for the reply, it was lovely to read something that is both supportive and positive.

I have a referral for some talking therapy and my appointment will probably be another 4-6 weeks but I will definitely be attending and hopefully the person I speak to will help identify any traits that I will be able to follow up with my GP

Thanks again

• Hello,

If you feel that you or your daughter have Asperger's which is now integrated on the Autistic Spectrum Condition classification, I would say that it is well worth further investigation. I have recently (earlier this year) received a similar diagnosis at a very mature age. I work full time and I have a very responsible job. 

I had similar thoughts as my son (now 28) was diagnosed at about 7 years with Oppositional Defiant Disorder, at the time he did not fit into the European Hyperkensis Criterion but more than filled the American Diagnostic Manual Criterion  for A.D.H.D. He was at secondary school before  he was diagnosed as being  "severely Dyslexic".  He is currently about to start his third year at University, so there is 'help'out there.

Having brought up my son, and investigated A.D.H.D. myself, I recognised the symptoms in myself , although more on the Autistic Spectrum (Higher Functioning). Having 'battled' with my GP, he referred me and eventually  I received a diagnosis only this year! I did have to wait for a year in my area though. I work full time in a responsible job (having survived for many years in the same profession); so it is possible. 

You may have to be persistent and you may have to see another GP for referral and I cannot say how long the waiting list will be but at least you will have a definite diagnosis then for yourself and your daughter you will be able to access  support.

Hope this helps! Good Luck.

NAS 38825

• Hello and welcome.

What is the 'chronic disorder' your GP is referring to? Can you get a second opinion from someone else in the GP practice? Some autistic people do get by fine. Most of the time. Did you have any problems doing the CBT?