Struggling Mum of 20 year old son with Aspergers

Hi,

My first time on this site. I have a 20 year old son with Aspergers. He has just  finished 2nd year at uni and moved back in for the summer. Recently there has been a lot of conflict involving a small incident which has escalated. Everything has been blown out of proportion and he has stomped off to my ex husbands. I have tried to calm things via text but get horrible long texts back telling me all of my shortcoming. I have generally had a good relationship with him and used strategies whilst he was growing up. He says he is mature and I treat him like a child but he is acting.like Kevin the Teenager. I.have a lot of other stress going on as my mum has rapid declining dementia. Please any advice would be welcome. I feel like the worst mother in the world.

Thanks.

Parents
  • Possibly he just needs a cooling off period. Maybe wait a few days and see if you start getting messages from him again. I recently read something about people on the spectrum "catastrophising" their emotions, but we do tend to recover quite quickly. Perhaps this is what your son is going through right now.

• Possibly he just needs a cooling off period. Maybe wait a few days and see if you start getting messages from him again. I recently read something about people on the spectrum "catastrophising" their emotions, but we do tend to recover quite quickly. Perhaps this is what your son is going through right now.

Children