Hi, I am new on here with a 21 year old autistic son, live in Leicestershire

Hello All

My son has been recently diagnosed with aspergers/autism he has had dyspraxia since 4 years old.

We get very little help, he has done volunteer work but sadly all he wants is a job. We are having another attempt at getting him into college,

he is getting very low-could i ask if anyone knows any clubs, or holiday venues or any ideas of help please?

Parents
  • Hi, 

I'm in the same part of the country as you :) what sort of interests and hobbies does your son have?
    I have never been drawn to partaking in any autism-specific groups, but I know of a few social activity-based groups that happen to have a fair few aspies in attendance (myself included). 

Also, re. finding work, have you tried speaking to Remploy? They are an organisation based in Leicester who help people with disabilities, mental health issues, etc. get into work and support them when they are working (a close relative of mine who is a similar age to your son used their services when he was first seeking work and is currently working for them).

• Hi Emma

Thanks for your reply. He likes watching sport, music, films, Xbox. I too am not a big fan of partaking, although i have been on a committee for a dyspraxia group for 15 years. He has recently asked about attending other groups as I feel he is lonely. He spends a lot of time with me and the family.

I have tried Remploy on a number of occasions but sadly they have not returned calls or replied to my emails. He is hopefully starting college in September to do animal care so that might motivate and cheer him up for a year and then i will re approach Remploy?

It is hard work and I need a break away with my husband on our own next year (he usually comes) and I am trying to find respite or somewhere or even a holiday for him?

• I’m part of a board gaming group, a Magic: the Gathering card game group (it’s a fantasy based, strategy-heavy collectible card game) and a general geeky activities group (we do quizzes, cinema trips, arts and crafts, retro video games, etc.) 

If any of those are up his street shoot me a PM for further details! :P 

How much support does he need? Would it be completely out of the question for him to stay at home and do his own things when you are away, or travel with you and go off and do what he wants to do in the day?

• I’m part of a board gaming group, a Magic: the Gathering card game group (it’s a fantasy based, strategy-heavy collectible card game) and a general geeky activities group (we do quizzes, cinema trips, arts and crafts, retro video games, etc.) 

If any of those are up his street shoot me a PM for further details! :P 

How much support does he need? Would it be completely out of the question for him to stay at home and do his own things when you are away, or travel with you and go off and do what he wants to do in the day?

Children
  • I think a lot of the stuff surrounding holidays depends on how self-sufficient he is; there are organisations out there that run supported holidays but they tend to be for people who need a very high degree of care.
    A cruise could be a good shout if he doesn't need round-the-clock looking after. They have people there for emergencies, but they aren't smothering you at all times, and it's pretty much impossible to wander off and get lost when you're literally surrounded by the sea (getting lost is my other half's big problem- he goes abroad alone regularly for work. Pretty much every time he manages to get lost or end up on the wrong train and rings me to talk him through finding his way again at ridiculous-O-clock AM). And it's OK to go on one alone- there's always social stuff on you can join if and when you want. :P
    My ex (also autistic) absolutely loves cruises. 

• Sorry for the delay wasn't able to get on. I will have a word as it sounds interesting and then PM you. He is coming on holiday with us this year as he normally does (when he chooses) he said last year but he rings me everyday, which is fine. I leave him laminated lists and make him ready meals that he can microwave. He could stay at home but he has epilepsy and it just worries me. Thought he might benefit either staying with people like him or even better going on holiday with others?