Gp refused to refer?

Hi all I'm new here and am waiting for a diagnosis. Just wondering if anyone else had the same problems I experienced getting to this stage. 

I went to see my gp armed with a printout of the baron-cohen Aspergers test (scored 42/50). And told my gp I wanted to be referred. I was then told 'the NHS don't refer adults' (I am 37). I argued my point and told her that my suspicions of possibly having some form of autism were affecting my work and home life. She read through my test results and agreed to refer me although said that it may be rejected due to my age.  This was 3 months ago. I have been chasing this on a regular basis and have been told numerous times that everything is fine and the referral has been made only to now find out it has gone to the wrong service and now has to start all over again. Have anyone else come across barriers from the NHS?

Parents
  • I live in norfolkand went to my gp in May 2017. After a couple of weeks he phoned me to say the referral had been delayed because he hadnt been sure where to refer me originally but now knew it should be ‘Asperger Servic Norfolk’ They sent me Aq, EQ, and RQ questionnaires within a fortnight. I completed and returned straight away. I then got a letter in July stating that my results show it is ‘highly likely’ I have asd and have been put on a waiting list for a formal assessment. It then went on to say I could be waiting ‘up to 18 months’ before I hear anything else. I tried chasing it up in March but their emails bounce back and their phones are rarely manned. It actually took a couple of weeks to get through to someone who told me that due to further cuts in funding she now cannot give me any idea at all of when I might get seen. So Trogluddite (see comments) is probably accurate in their opinion that there is no adult autism service in Norfolk at present. I have since gone private and got a diagnosis within 6 weekas of making that decision

• I live in norfolkand went to my gp in May 2017. After a couple of weeks he phoned me to say the referral had been delayed because he hadnt been sure where to refer me originally but now knew it should be ‘Asperger Servic Norfolk’ They sent me Aq, EQ, and RQ questionnaires within a fortnight. I completed and returned straight away. I then got a letter in July stating that my results show it is ‘highly likely’ I have asd and have been put on a waiting list for a formal assessment. It then went on to say I could be waiting ‘up to 18 months’ before I hear anything else. I tried chasing it up in March but their emails bounce back and their phones are rarely manned. It actually took a couple of weeks to get through to someone who told me that due to further cuts in funding she now cannot give me any idea at all of when I might get seen. So Trogluddite (see comments) is probably accurate in their opinion that there is no adult autism service in Norfolk at present. I have since gone private and got a diagnosis within 6 weekas of making that decision

Children