Gp refused to refer?

Hi all I'm new here and am waiting for a diagnosis. Just wondering if anyone else had the same problems I experienced getting to this stage. 

I went to see my gp armed with a printout of the baron-cohen Aspergers test (scored 42/50). And told my gp I wanted to be referred. I was then told 'the NHS don't refer adults' (I am 37). I argued my point and told her that my suspicions of possibly having some form of autism were affecting my work and home life. She read through my test results and agreed to refer me although said that it may be rejected due to my age.  This was 3 months ago. I have been chasing this on a regular basis and have been told numerous times that everything is fine and the referral has been made only to now find out it has gone to the wrong service and now has to start all over again. Have anyone else come across barriers from the NHS?

Parents
  • I approached GP to ask for a referal. I saw a registrar so she had to ask the senior GP's how to proceed. They responded with "there is no adult autism service in Norfolk and there's no point getting a diagnosis as an adult anyway.

I am not happy. I am taking it further and I WILL get the referal and assessment I feel I need and deserve.

• there is no adult autism service in Norfolk and there's no point getting a diagnosis as an adult anyway.

This is total nonsense for many reasons.

Firstly, if there is no provision for autistic adults in Norfolk, the local authority is breaking the law - the Autism Act of 2009 makes it incumbent on all local authorities to have a pathway from diagnosis to support for adults with autism. It is true that the provisions nowhere near meet the promises made by the legislation, but that is no excuse for an offhand refusal.

Secondly, whether or not there is a point to being diagnosed is not for a doctor or registrar to decide. There are many reasons why an adult might feel the need for a diagnosis.

• For our own peace of mind; which has implications for our mental health.
    • To make our descriptions of our difficulties more believable to incredulous people around us; which again has implications for our mental health, and also for our social success.
    • To make it easier to access reasonable adjustments in the workplace and when accessing services, as per disability discrimination legislation.
    • To allow access to welfare benefits for daily income, travel, housing etc.
    • So that we are counted in the statistics used when determining social and healthcare policies.
  • there is no adult autism service in Norfolk and there's no point getting a diagnosis as an adult anyway.

This is total nonsense for many reasons.

Firstly, if there is no provision for autistic adults in Norfolk, the local authority is breaking the law - the Autism Act of 2009 makes it incumbent on all local authorities to have a pathway from diagnosis to support for adults with autism. It is true that the provisions nowhere near meet the promises made by the legislation, but that is no excuse for an offhand refusal.

Secondly, whether or not there is a point to being diagnosed is not for a doctor or registrar to decide. There are many reasons why an adult might feel the need for a diagnosis.

• For our own peace of mind; which has implications for our mental health.
    • To make our descriptions of our difficulties more believable to incredulous people around us; which again has implications for our mental health, and also for our social success.
    • To make it easier to access reasonable adjustments in the workplace and when accessing services, as per disability discrimination legislation.
    • To allow access to welfare benefits for daily income, travel, housing etc.
    • So that we are counted in the statistics used when determining social and healthcare policies.
Children
No Data