New to this....

Hello everyone, diagnosed yesterday with autism and hypermobility, I am looking forward to joining this community and sharing experiences... it’s been a strange journey, my head is buzzing today!

Parents
  • Hi! Your bio sounds familiar : ) I found out two days ago now, just woke up 3am and had to get up as had a huge rule breaking dream and woke up to a head full of noise and realisations... I think it may be sinking in! 

• "It's been a long road travelled". Yep that sounds familiar! Trust me you will have a lot of questions you ask yourself at first but after a while so much stuff begins to make sense. I've got to ask, if you have a vivid dream does the feeling stay with you when you wake up? If I have a vivid dream I can wake up to overload.

Welcome!

• It's not just what you are saying, just find time to get to a place where you feel right about it all too. Best to be settled into the whole situation. I found it a strange period of time just after being diagnosed. You'll work out what's best for you though, no doubt of it!

• thanks for this, yes, I have stopped telling people now, will wait until I have a better idea of what I am saying. 

• Try not to let it take your feeling of self over. I sort of lost my sense of identity at first but I was never "I have Autism and my name is Cloudy", I've always been "I'm Cloudy and I just happen to have Autism", or as a wise person said "I have ASD, ASD doesn't have me!". I just started to look at things in my past and question a lot of things in my personality. Don't! I've realised speaking to people here and working through things myself that a diagnosis is a good time to keep all the things that work and start using the diagnosis to work on the things I've found challenging.

I'd say come to terms with it first then you will be able to speak about it more clearly. When you first get your diagnosis they will give you a general description of what it entails but you will realise what applies to you. Some people will do their research too. Rome wasn't built in a day! Do everything at a pace that you feel you can handle.

Vivid dreams can mess up a chunk of my day. It carries through into being awake!

• Try not to let it take your feeling of self over. I sort of lost my sense of identity at first but I was never "I have Autism and my name is Cloudy", I've always been "I'm Cloudy and I just happen to have Autism", or as a wise person said "I have ASD, ASD doesn't have me!". I just started to look at things in my past and question a lot of things in my personality. Don't! I've realised speaking to people here and working through things myself that a diagnosis is a good time to keep all the things that work and start using the diagnosis to work on the things I've found challenging.

I'd say come to terms with it first then you will be able to speak about it more clearly. When you first get your diagnosis they will give you a general description of what it entails but you will realise what applies to you. Some people will do their research too. Rome wasn't built in a day! Do everything at a pace that you feel you can handle.

Vivid dreams can mess up a chunk of my day. It carries through into being awake!

Children