I am not an idiot

Lately I'm trying really hard to admit when I can't follow a conversation. I do this by saying 'I don't understand,' and most people are really helpful and respond by explaining what they mean in a way that makes sense to me. It means I don't have to pretend I know what's going on when I have absolutely no idea.

This doesn't always work though, some people react by repeating the same instruction a bit louder and by the third or fourth time they're shouting and I still have no idea what's going on. I am not an idiot, I just need things reworded sometimes. If I say this to the other person it often makes things worse (but at least it makes me feel better).

I have no solution but I thought there might be a few people on here who relate! Are there any things you wish other people would do differently?

Parents
  • Yes, can definitely relate to this too!  As Aspergoose says, I also find that just to say "I don't get it" helps people to explain things in a way I understand.  I get hugely distracted if the TV is on in the same room and usually just mute the sound so I can concentrate on someone's speech (rarely watch TV so this isn't a big problem).

I often had major problems interpreting people's instructions when I was working (currently not working here), and the suggestions here are very helpful - I'm going to make a note of them for when I re-enter employment.

People who just shout and think they'll then be understood are the idiots.  They obviously don't realise it's the way they've explained something which is the problem...their problem!

• Yes, can definitely relate to this too!  As Aspergoose says, I also find that just to say "I don't get it" helps people to explain things in a way I understand.  I get hugely distracted if the TV is on in the same room and usually just mute the sound so I can concentrate on someone's speech (rarely watch TV so this isn't a big problem).

I often had major problems interpreting people's instructions when I was working (currently not working here), and the suggestions here are very helpful - I'm going to make a note of them for when I re-enter employment.

People who just shout and think they'll then be understood are the idiots.  They obviously don't realise it's the way they've explained something which is the problem...their problem!

Children
No Data