Should I pursue a diagnosis?? Not sure.

Hi all,

I'm 24 years old I've thought for years I may have aspergers, but I'm really not sure if it's worth wasting my time or the doctors time, finding out. So, I thought, I'll write down a bit of what I experience here, and if you could give your opinion as to whether it sounds worthwhile?

I've always been a bit socially 'at odds' with everyone else. When I was a kid I didn't have any friends for a while, and when I did, I was terrible at maintaining friendships.. this is the same now. 

I have anxiety and depression which were significantly worse when I was in primary school/high school, but I still have it now.

I bite my nails, I have facial tics, I have complex partial seizures (doc said its triggered by anxiety??) I like to rock back and forward and sideto side when i'm excited/nervous/stressed, I have dyslexia and dyscalculia.

I have one of those "no expression faces" and a somewhat "monotonous voice"

I have various interests, but only really seem to have one at a time, and when I have an interest, I like to research it a lot and gather lots of info about it and seemed to get "sucked in". Some examples are: Paganism, mental health, the universe, animals... 

I've really had to learn about social situations; I'm quite good at being social but there's just some things that I can't learn, which are: not getting jokes or taking longer than the rest of the group to get the joke, being a bit "slow" in conversations, being tired out by social situations, etc.

also as for routine, I don't have strict rigid routines, but I do get irritable and angry if someone tries to change my plans for the day, or there is a big change and disrupts my day.

I also have some sensory things, like loud noises sometimes physically hurting me so I cover my ears, sometimes get panic attacks from loud noises, not liking physical touch very much, my eyes are very sensitive to light and I have my brightness on my phone and computer down to the lowest, which is still sometimes too bright, and I'm a picky eater. 

But at the same time, I don't seem to get other things that i hear a lot of people with aspergers have. 

Be honest, what do you think? (obviously I can't write it all down, otherwise this would be a long post!)

Parents
  • Good luck with your assessment.

I visited my GP after putting it off several times after my youngest son was diagnosed at 14 as ASD last year. My eldest son is also ASD.

I get the "imposter" feeling as well.

It's really hard, but I guess it wil be good to finally know why I've felt so odd-one-out my entire life.

• Good luck with your assessment.

I visited my GP after putting it off several times after my youngest son was diagnosed at 14 as ASD last year. My eldest son is also ASD.

I get the "imposter" feeling as well.

It's really hard, but I guess it wil be good to finally know why I've felt so odd-one-out my entire life.

Children
No Data