Should I pursue a diagnosis?? Not sure.

Hi all,

I'm 24 years old I've thought for years I may have aspergers, but I'm really not sure if it's worth wasting my time or the doctors time, finding out. So, I thought, I'll write down a bit of what I experience here, and if you could give your opinion as to whether it sounds worthwhile?

I've always been a bit socially 'at odds' with everyone else. When I was a kid I didn't have any friends for a while, and when I did, I was terrible at maintaining friendships.. this is the same now. 

I have anxiety and depression which were significantly worse when I was in primary school/high school, but I still have it now.

I bite my nails, I have facial tics, I have complex partial seizures (doc said its triggered by anxiety??) I like to rock back and forward and sideto side when i'm excited/nervous/stressed, I have dyslexia and dyscalculia.

I have one of those "no expression faces" and a somewhat "monotonous voice"

I have various interests, but only really seem to have one at a time, and when I have an interest, I like to research it a lot and gather lots of info about it and seemed to get "sucked in". Some examples are: Paganism, mental health, the universe, animals... 

I've really had to learn about social situations; I'm quite good at being social but there's just some things that I can't learn, which are: not getting jokes or taking longer than the rest of the group to get the joke, being a bit "slow" in conversations, being tired out by social situations, etc.

also as for routine, I don't have strict rigid routines, but I do get irritable and angry if someone tries to change my plans for the day, or there is a big change and disrupts my day.

I also have some sensory things, like loud noises sometimes physically hurting me so I cover my ears, sometimes get panic attacks from loud noises, not liking physical touch very much, my eyes are very sensitive to light and I have my brightness on my phone and computer down to the lowest, which is still sometimes too bright, and I'm a picky eater. 

But at the same time, I don't seem to get other things that i hear a lot of people with aspergers have. 

Be honest, what do you think? (obviously I can't write it all down, otherwise this would be a long post!)

Parents
  • Shay,

Glad to hear you've booked an appointment.  As you say, they are only diagnostic tools, but at least you'll know either way by getting a diagnosis.  Although it might take a while (depending on your local services), like me at least you know you can come onto the forum here and find many people who will support you.

Trogluddite,

I've had the "imposter" doubts too, so if it is common among those waiting for a diagnosis, I know I'm not alone.  So many things go through your mind between speaking to the doctor and getting the DISCO!

• Shay,

Glad to hear you've booked an appointment.  As you say, they are only diagnostic tools, but at least you'll know either way by getting a diagnosis.  Although it might take a while (depending on your local services), like me at least you know you can come onto the forum here and find many people who will support you.

Trogluddite,

I've had the "imposter" doubts too, so if it is common among those waiting for a diagnosis, I know I'm not alone.  So many things go through your mind between speaking to the doctor and getting the DISCO!

Children
No Data