Just a question

I'm a 22 year old Adult soon to be assessed for Aspergers I was wondering what I can expect at the assessment?

• Forgot to mention, my mum (in her 70's) came in to answer a questionnaire too - I was soooo dreading it but she was great and after all these years she is beginning to understand where things went "wrong" - nobody is to blame but the awareness was not there for females in the 1970's.  The diagnosis has come as a relief to mum too so well worth it.

• Just had my NHS assessment and confirmation of ASD aged 51!  Not scary at all, I had several appointments mainly questionnaires and interviews plus an IQ test (again not as scary as it sounds, very straightforward).  I was present with the psychologist who wrote my report and I've felt supported all the way.  It's such a relief to understand WHY I'm the way I am and as a female why playing the game of being "normal" all these years has been so exhausting.  I relate to your struggle since childhood but even undiagnosed I managed to bring up 3 lovely kids who understand me and don't resent the lack of hugs - they know I'm a bit different and I make up for it in other ways.  I hope it all goes well for you and that things will finally make sense.  Good luck.

• I'm getting some understanding, it's does make a lot of sense to me now why I've struggled with something's since childhood :)

thank you as well, glad it's helped you too :)

• If you can begin to understand what Aspergers is all about then you may be able to get to grips with your ADHD. For me, the diagnosis has helped me massively in reducing stress and being able to work with the world rather than against it.

good luck :-)

• Oh okay thanks

My psychiatrist wants me to have a proper assessment and there's been an Aspergers outreachworker that's seen me during the last 7 months, and a social worker they all think it's highly likely I'm on the spectrum 

and at first I only went to the psychiatrist about ADHD at first and he mentioned Aspergers to me since he said I show signs of it 

• I had to fill in a couple of questionnaires. My wife filled in a questionnaire too and then we went for a consultation with a psychiatrist. It doesn't hurt! it shouldn't be stressful. It shouldn't be an argument. 

what has prompted you to have the assessment? Has someone suggested that you get assessed? Do you understand why?