Sensory: ear defenders, bright lights, smells and textures

Hi, I would like people's help on stopping my sensory problems keeping me in the house.

I feel like I am overwhelmed and sickened by everything mentioned in the topic bar, and my head hurts constantly.  

At at this moment, the tv is on, the washer is on, and I live next to a busy road, and I can't hear any of it without feeling sick and crushed.

If I taste certain things, or smell something's, I am sick and can't function.

I I am in a supermarket, I feel like I have had a drug, and feel overwhelmed.

I would like to know about other people's ways of coping with these things.  I'm also 31, so need adult sized and descrete ear defenders, if they are out there?

I tell the doctors about these problems, and have never had any help, so hope this community can.

Thank you in advance

Michael

• I have recently discovered the glory of ear defenders. They make me feel so happy. I am able to walk down the street without my chest feeling crushed at every car, bird, rain, wind, rustling pile of leaves I walk past. 

I am 24, and I truly feel that if ear defenders work, you should just wear them. It's much nicer being outside, enjoying your time but looking a little bit silly, than being stuck inside or miserable outside. And to be honest, no one has ever said anything to me about it - I think most people just assume they're very large music headphones (which are kind of trendy at the moment anyway). I've never noticed anyone say or do anything derogatory about it.

Prior to ear defenders, I used music (but given that I can only cope listening to one specific CD for weeks at a time, I ended up getting irritated with having to listen to the same music over and over again, which also didn't help).

Regarding other sensory issues, I've found that dealing with one (e.g. sound) makes dealing with the others much easier. Tangles are quite good for dealing with anxiety in a discreet way (I use them at work a lot). 

• You can get these in different types and costs. I use audio technica quietpoint in-ear earbuds. These make a real difference and at around £50 are not too expensive. 

You can either use them with or without music. I find that my own choice of music or a pod-cast or audiobook can really shut the world out.