hypersensitivity to noise

My 10 year old is very sensitive to noise, which can make working in a noisy classroom difficult, and today made a school trip to the panto very stressful for both of us - we had to leave.

Has anyone got any ideas about how to deal with this problem, which i fear is goin to be harder to cope with at secondary school?

Would earplugs help in places like the pantomime?

Parents
  • Because my experience of this is quite manageable most of the time, I tend to analyse situations where I'm uncomfortable by listening to see if I can distinguish the key irritants from less problemmatic background. I've found, mentioned in another post, that turning my head or positioning myself differently can reduce the impact, though this isn't practical when walking.

The thing that really has puzzled me is that I do manage to "switch off" uncomfortable sound for a while. It then comes back "on" very suddenly.  That sudden awareness can be alarming and annoying.  So I can be quite unaware of any problem at all then whatever it is suddenly hits.

• Because my experience of this is quite manageable most of the time, I tend to analyse situations where I'm uncomfortable by listening to see if I can distinguish the key irritants from less problemmatic background. I've found, mentioned in another post, that turning my head or positioning myself differently can reduce the impact, though this isn't practical when walking.

The thing that really has puzzled me is that I do manage to "switch off" uncomfortable sound for a while. It then comes back "on" very suddenly.  That sudden awareness can be alarming and annoying.  So I can be quite unaware of any problem at all then whatever it is suddenly hits.

Children
No Data