Autism and gastrointestinal (GI) disorders

I have been doing a lot of reading about this recently, and I am finding more and more that there are potentially significant links between people with autism and people who have gastrointestinal (GI) issues such as gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD) or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). 

I am a 32 year old male. I have suffered from acid reflux my whole life due to being born with a hiatus hernia. I am medicated for it, and I have been told that I will always be on medication for it due to the severity of my condition. It gets worse with stress, sleeping in a different position, changes in diet... all sorts of things can trigger it to be worse.

Does anyone else, formally or self-diagnosed with autism, have any issues like this?

Parents
  • I am diagnosed autistic and I suffer from acid reflux as well. I am currently on medication too and I always have digestive tract issues. I also have been diagnosed with anorexia, which might've caused some digestive tract issues as well. Almost all of my problems have been caused by my digestive tract. It makes me extremely sad to think about it.

• I am sorry that it makes you sad. However, you aren't on your own as this thread shows. There are plenty of autistic people out there who have had or currently have similar experiences and medical issues as you. If it is ever getting you down then please reach out or just reach out anyway, even if you're sad about something else. 

• I am sorry that it makes you sad. However, you aren't on your own as this thread shows. There are plenty of autistic people out there who have had or currently have similar experiences and medical issues as you. If it is ever getting you down then please reach out or just reach out anyway, even if you're sad about something else. 

Children
No Data