Headaches

Hi. I’m new to this group. Newly confirmed autistic in early 40s, but known this for a long time and have experienced the same challenges all my life - just never knew why until recent years and better understanding of autism in women etc. Have had regular headaches for as long as I can remember and have learned how to manage them as best I can over the years, but recently read that they may be connected with my autism. Does anyone else experience these? I find they can be triggered by sunlight, high uv even on non sunny days, strong smells, over-whelming social gatherings, and after intensive periods of masking at work.

Parents
  • Ive always suffered with frequent headaches and the occasional migraine also. My triggers are the same as yours including hormonal changes, stress and general sensory overload. 

That said, since i was diagnosed (a few months ago) I’ve noticed a decrease in my “everyday headaches”. It may just be a coincidence, but I’ve tried to be kinder to myself and to start unmasking especially at home or with family. I don’t push myself further than what I’m comfortable doing and with busy/social days I try to follow with quiet alone time to help me recharge. I pace myself with chores and don’t feel guilty for not doing things like I did before.

• Ive always suffered with frequent headaches and the occasional migraine also. My triggers are the same as yours including hormonal changes, stress and general sensory overload. 

That said, since i was diagnosed (a few months ago) I’ve noticed a decrease in my “everyday headaches”. It may just be a coincidence, but I’ve tried to be kinder to myself and to start unmasking especially at home or with family. I don’t push myself further than what I’m comfortable doing and with busy/social days I try to follow with quiet alone time to help me recharge. I pace myself with chores and don’t feel guilty for not doing things like I did before.

Children
No Data