Struggling to change my diet routine and cut out caffeine

I'm wanting to make some changes in my life as I currently lead an unhealthy lifestyle and it's ruining my life. I've just turned twenty seven and all I drink is coke and I eat way too much sweet stuff. Luckily I'm really thin still but I think the coca cola especially is affecting my health negatively, I get a lot of abdominal discomfort and bloating, dizziness and at times extremely tired. 

Recently I noticed I've been suffering these symptoms more, and an increase in my anxiety which is becoming increasingly difficult to manage so I've decided to try and make some changes. But I think because of the autism I'm struggling to change my routine so this is proving more difficult than I thought. I looked up withdrawal symptoms online and that's scared me a little because some people can experience really bad effects. My own fault of course but it's something I'm going to try and do gradually. 

If anyone's been through this and has any advice or suggestions I would greatly appreciate your own experience with this. 

It's going to be a long road ahead I think but it's going to be worth it in the long run I'm sure.

Parents
  • My son has a very unhealthy diet and really struggles to change that because he can’t motivate himself to make changes to the foods he likes. Like you he doesn’t become overweight and is very slim - if I ate what he ate I would be very very overweight! But like you there is the concern over the health effects of so much sweet food and the lack of vegetables. However he has some healthy-ish things : he likes fruit smoothies, so we buy the ones with the whole fruits crushed so there’s a bit of fibre in there. And he likes some breakfast cereals - which have added vitamins, and he likes margarita pizza which at least has tomato and cheese - relatively good things. He seems very healthy in terms of not showing any signs of problems, but I do worry about the future. Having said that I think that his life is far from easy and if he enjoys his food then I’m glad about that - even if it’s not the healthiest. He eats an astonishing amount of Jaffa Cakes - but he loves them so I don’t blame him for not wanting to give them up. I suppose small improvements are a good thing - so maybe you should focus on small changes and go very slowly if you want to change your diet. I do sympathise - it’s not easy! Good luck!

• My son has a very unhealthy diet and really struggles to change that because he can’t motivate himself to make changes to the foods he likes. Like you he doesn’t become overweight and is very slim - if I ate what he ate I would be very very overweight! But like you there is the concern over the health effects of so much sweet food and the lack of vegetables. However he has some healthy-ish things : he likes fruit smoothies, so we buy the ones with the whole fruits crushed so there’s a bit of fibre in there. And he likes some breakfast cereals - which have added vitamins, and he likes margarita pizza which at least has tomato and cheese - relatively good things. He seems very healthy in terms of not showing any signs of problems, but I do worry about the future. Having said that I think that his life is far from easy and if he enjoys his food then I’m glad about that - even if it’s not the healthiest. He eats an astonishing amount of Jaffa Cakes - but he loves them so I don’t blame him for not wanting to give them up. I suppose small improvements are a good thing - so maybe you should focus on small changes and go very slowly if you want to change your diet. I do sympathise - it’s not easy! Good luck!

Children
No Data