Army

My son was diagnosed at 11, he has done remarkably well in his GCSE's but is determined to join the Army. He has always been interested in anything military, and even went through the first stage of the recruitment process. The gentleman that interviewed him was full of praise and admiration for the research, knowledge and his overall conduct during the interview. He also attended the fitness test and did well, we then had to fill in his medical details and hit the brick wall even though we had disclosed his diagnosis at interview and on all earlier paperwork. My son has noted that if his medical report regarding his diagnosis says that a further review would be of benefit when older that the army have to let him be reassessed before they turn him down. I know that he is probably not going to be allowed to join up but does anyone know of people being reassessed when older and if so how we would go about it.

Many thanks 

Parents Reply Children
  • I worked in the European defence diplomatic HQ on the crisis management team. I'm not disordered, I'm quite at home with my neurodiversity and consider that approach offensively discriminatory. I was the child of someone who was almost certainly Aspie too. Of course, if you'd prefer to do without PWR nuclear reactors, hip implants and the respirators his structure whistled up a year ago, go right ahead, or my own contribution, a decent chunk of the 2012 Peace Prize for starters. I've a pretty big chip on my shoulder about neurotypical shrinks not having done their homework, as it looks as if the problem's the log in the eye of the beholder.

My 2015 manifestation was in full view not only of Harley Street, but also of half the Cabinet, in the Savile Club. It's no surprise the Cabinet Office is now looking for weirdos and misfits. In fact, I no longer buy the High Functioning Disorder contradiction. Just because a Nazi confused common symptoms doesn't give grounds for ongoing discrimination: at least some work's starting into the top end of the bell curve, too much effort was put into making silk purses out of sows ears at the other end over the last century. The only plea I would make is to let us do the work: there's been too much brainsplaining as it is.