Army

My son was diagnosed at 11, he has done remarkably well in his GCSE's but is determined to join the Army. He has always been interested in anything military, and even went through the first stage of the recruitment process. The gentleman that interviewed him was full of praise and admiration for the research, knowledge and his overall conduct during the interview. He also attended the fitness test and did well, we then had to fill in his medical details and hit the brick wall even though we had disclosed his diagnosis at interview and on all earlier paperwork. My son has noted that if his medical report regarding his diagnosis says that a further review would be of benefit when older that the army have to let him be reassessed before they turn him down. I know that he is probably not going to be allowed to join up but does anyone know of people being reassessed when older and if so how we would go about it.

Many thanks 

Parents
  • Hi,

I'm a 19 year old Autie currently in the recruitment process with the British Army. The Army advised me that I will need strong support from my GP whilst in the recruitment process to prove that I am capable of being a soldier within the British Army. May I ask did your son declare his Autism on his ONQ?

Many thanks,

Harry.

• Hi Harry if you are still active on here would we be able to chat as having similar problems

Edited by Moderator (email address removed)

• I don’t know if this will help but I’ve done loads of research and asked the army themselves snd in the “army bible” it basically says they will not take anyone with a ASD diagnosis.

my 17 year old son is currently on a military prep course, I queried this as before I’d found no info.

I was told by the course manager that students with ASD who have run into difficulties regarding the ASD had succefully joined the armed forces with the help of the course managers, obviously their training etc and carrying out a military prep course. 

good luck on your journey! 

• I don’t know if this will help but I’ve done loads of research and asked the army themselves snd in the “army bible” it basically says they will not take anyone with a ASD diagnosis.

my 17 year old son is currently on a military prep course, I queried this as before I’d found no info.

I was told by the course manager that students with ASD who have run into difficulties regarding the ASD had succefully joined the armed forces with the help of the course managers, obviously their training etc and carrying out a military prep course. 

good luck on your journey! 

Children
No Data