Advice on eating healthier?

I was raised with the idea that any food is good food because I was so bad with food as a kid. Now I'm older, it's kinda hard to feel that way when I'm eating like a child at almost 20. Ashamed to admit it but I don't eat any vegetables and I don't eat fruit often because the taste and textures differ too much between seasons. I've gained a bit of weight recently and I'm not really independent enough to go out on my own and work it off but that's a whole other issue, my house is also too small to do it inside. I really don't know what to do. I'm ashamed and I feel disgusting to be totally honest. If anyone has any advice for me I'd be grateful :) 

Parents Reply Children
  • Thanks for letting us know.

There are lots of crunchy/hard/crispy foods, such as:

Protein: Roast chicken legs, crispy bacon, Quorn southern fried bites, fish in crispy batter, beans /lentils.

Dairy: Hard cheese

Fruit & veg: Carrot sticks, corn on the cob, raw cauliflower, radishes, celery, apples & pears

Carbs: Crackers, crispy fries, potato skins, brown rice.

Snacks: Peanuts/mixed nuts, vegetable crisps, popcorn, dark chocolate.

Also you can have milk (any type, including lacto-free/plant milks) to drink on its own, or in tea/coffee/hot chocolate or shakes - if you can tolerate it - which will give you more protein & calcium.

• From what I have read some vegetables can be eaten raw. That should mean they are hard and crunchy I would guess though I have not tried many raw vegetables.

From memory raw rhubarb is crispy, crunchy and delicious too.

Salad bowls are healthy and hard and crispy too.

• Frozen fruit has a hard texture. You can buy packets of frozen fruit from the supermarket. It's already chopped and frozen for you. You just put the packet in your freezer.

For example I hate banana that is at room temperature because I hate the texture but love frozen banana.

You can also get packets containing frozen strawberries, raspberries, pineapple and other fruit types from the supermarket.

I like sainsburys frozen fruit the best but others may prefer other brands.