School Refusal

Good morning all

I am desperate,  My Son James is 14 and was diagnosed with ADHD and Asperger's last year.   I have struggled to get James into school.  He is currently in year 9.  We are a single parent family as my husband passed away 12 years ago and it is just me, James and his older sister.   I sometimes manage to get him into school but over the last year, he has been 95 per cent absent.  The school have put alot in place for him and he has hall passes, late pass, time out pass and places to go if he is overwhelmed.  but James in school, is ok.  He likes his friends and once i get him into school, he is ok.  The issue is getting him out to school in the morning.  I have tried absolutely everything from strong routines, rewards and consequences for non attendance.  I now have the school threatening me with fines or worse, prosecution unless this changes.   We have been referred to CAHMS and i am also seeking another assessment for the Austim privately which is funded as part of my employment.  

When you question James on anything school related, ask him to explain what is stopping him from getting to school, the answer is always the same " I don't know, i will go in tomorrow".  He promises the earth to go in and then the same thing happens again in the morning.   I have called the doctors, social services and the education department at the council for help and all i get is there is nothing they can do....

My Stress levels are through the roof.  The pending action is not helping and will not help the situation.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Parents Reply Children
No Data