Breakfast

Apparently breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It's meant to give you energy for the rest of the day ahead, very much needed for me as I'm always exhausted.

Do you eat breakfast? That's my question as I used to when I was little but in my teens my sensitivity to pain etc got a lot worse and now I have to be really careful what I eat as my GI problems and pain affect me greatly and it makes eating difficult especially in the morning.

I've taken to eating a cut up banana in the morning, it leaves my stomach aching after but I don't feel sick which is nice. Plus it's one of the five a day... So that can only mean goodness for the body I hope.

I wonder what the link is with GI problems and autism? I guess there is actually a link. I know a lot of members here struggle with food like I do so it can't just be coincidence.

Parents
  • I am one of the unlucky people who have autism and the genetic abnormality of the intestines that is associated with autism and related developmental disorders. Because of that I struggle to eat breakfast, or to eat at all.

On some days, I eat some lactose-free cheese in the morning.

On other days, I have some rice cakes or a few slices of crispbread.  

All of this is easy to digest. I used to eat porridge in the morning, but this breakfast hasn't worked for me for a few years now. But many people tolerate porridge very well, even on an upset stomach or when ill. 

I'm usually nauseous by the afternoon. Some days I cannot eat anything in the morning. On those days, I try to eat a few slices of apple, orange, or pear around 12:00 in the hope of getting some vitamins.

Sometimes I manage to eat some berries or another kind of fruit if they're in season.

I get vitamin B12 and vitamin D injections from my doctor because I was malnourished and developed something called pernicious anemia, which caused the nerves in my feet to go bonkers. And I take folic acid tablets.

I usually feel slightly better in the evening and eat things like potatoes, sweet potatoes.

My nutrition is far from ideal, but getting nutrition through a tube or drinking nutritional drinks failed because my intestines could not digest those things. But for some people it's managable to sustain themselves with those drinks. But those drinks are very sweet. 

I know that people who do NOT have autism and do NOT have an intestinal abnormality, but have an inflammatory disease like Crohn's or colitis, get more help when it comes to nutritional problems or problems with their stomach and intestines.

Because I have a disability like autism, it's hard to get the same treatment as neurotypicals. It is not common to treat people with this disability in the same way as "normal" patients. 

So in my case, doctors were afraid that "mentally ill" people might have complications.They hesitate to do much.  It doesn't matter that autism is not a form of mental illness. 

I just try to eat what I can because I have to stay alive for a while. 

This was info dumping. I tend to do that. Just ignore the paragraphs that are too much.

• I am one of the unlucky people who have autism and the genetic abnormality of the intestines that is associated with autism and related developmental disorders. Because of that I struggle to eat breakfast, or to eat at all.

On some days, I eat some lactose-free cheese in the morning.

On other days, I have some rice cakes or a few slices of crispbread.  

All of this is easy to digest. I used to eat porridge in the morning, but this breakfast hasn't worked for me for a few years now. But many people tolerate porridge very well, even on an upset stomach or when ill. 

I'm usually nauseous by the afternoon. Some days I cannot eat anything in the morning. On those days, I try to eat a few slices of apple, orange, or pear around 12:00 in the hope of getting some vitamins.

Sometimes I manage to eat some berries or another kind of fruit if they're in season.

I get vitamin B12 and vitamin D injections from my doctor because I was malnourished and developed something called pernicious anemia, which caused the nerves in my feet to go bonkers. And I take folic acid tablets.

I usually feel slightly better in the evening and eat things like potatoes, sweet potatoes.

My nutrition is far from ideal, but getting nutrition through a tube or drinking nutritional drinks failed because my intestines could not digest those things. But for some people it's managable to sustain themselves with those drinks. But those drinks are very sweet. 

I know that people who do NOT have autism and do NOT have an intestinal abnormality, but have an inflammatory disease like Crohn's or colitis, get more help when it comes to nutritional problems or problems with their stomach and intestines.

Because I have a disability like autism, it's hard to get the same treatment as neurotypicals. It is not common to treat people with this disability in the same way as "normal" patients. 

So in my case, doctors were afraid that "mentally ill" people might have complications.They hesitate to do much.  It doesn't matter that autism is not a form of mental illness. 

I just try to eat what I can because I have to stay alive for a while. 

This was info dumping. I tend to do that. Just ignore the paragraphs that are too much.

Children
No Data