Any support, advice for navigating the buying and selling of a house?

Hello, 

I am currently in the process of selling and buying a house.  I also work full time and live alone.  I am finding the whole process of buying and selling unbearable.  I have no parents or support network.  For example the survey was cancelled today, I have had to make over 15 phonecalls and I was struggling to speak/just shut down completely on the phone and then burst in to tears.

The sale of the house has gone fairly smoothly, but the purchase is behind so I begin catastrophizing about losing the buyer etc.  I appreciate buying a house is stressful, I haven't even gotten to the packing and moving stage, which to be honest is what I am dreading the most.   I feel like I have paid agents, brokers etc to handle the 'admin; side of things, which is where I struggle.  Oh and phonecalls!

Where would most people turn for advice and support on this issue?  It's really not an autism friendly process, especially when I am navigating a change in career as well as home.

I've been telling call handlers that I'm autistic- just to give myself the space to not be misinterpreted.  I also tell them that I find phonecalls difficult and that I have already been on a significant number of call sin that day so am drained.   I think my hopes were just really pinned on it happening today as well, because without it happening, the process feels lengthened which makes me even more anxious.

Apologies for rambling on, but if anyone has any tips or connections who might support with this, I'd be grateful.

Parents
  • Hi, the sale of my house completed two weeks ago, I won’t pretend it was easy. My buyers were the ‘buyers from hell’, even my solicitor was surprised by their actions.

The way I did it was to not make phone calls, all communication was through my solicitor by email. I was honest with my solicitor from the start, I would let her know when it was getting overwhelming and she would take over. I tried to make one call to a council department, I was asked what my phone number was? I couldn’t answer, panicked and put the phone down. The professionals who you are employing charge a lot of money, make them work for it.

My advice is to start packing things you don’t often use, clear the attic and start taking stuff to the dump. We used a Luton van with a tail lift as we were only moving locally, we we’re still surprised at how many boxes there were. I would definitely use a professional removal company in the future.

• I absolutely intend to use a removals firm.  Still haven't got an official date.  A kind friend is coming over tonight tonight to take me ex-teaching stuff for her class.   The loft is only what I can currently describe as hell!

• I absolutely intend to use a removals firm.  Still haven't got an official date.  A kind friend is coming over tonight tonight to take me ex-teaching stuff for her class.   The loft is only what I can currently describe as hell!

Children
No Data