Social housing

I’ve had issues with a neighbour for 3.5 years (cannabis, loud music and harassment).

my housing association refuse to move me or deal with the situation. They tell me I have to get moved by the councils homechoice. The council say this is the housing associations issue. The police wouldnt charge. The council are now doing a occupational therapist refferal for the housing issue.

Has anyone had any Luck with these situations or any advise?  This has made my autism really hard to cope with due to having no quiet safe home. 

it’s very expensive to move privately where I live, so I really need them to move me. 

thank you 

Parents
  • I’ve had issues with a neighbour for 3.5 years (cannabis, loud music and harassment).

It sounds like these are all borderline offences which is why the police won't act. Cannabis is quite legal now, loud music is still acceptable within some hours, depending on the decibels of the noise and harassment is difficult to quantify.

If it is down to your Housing Assocication then I would get a copy of their rules, ask them for a clear explantion of the complaints process and begin documenting the issues with video footage to back it up.

Once you have a clearly documented dossary of evidence then present it to the council, preferrably with the support of a number of other neighbours. Chase them weekly until you get a result one way or another.

In the meantime you could see if there is enough evidence collected to put together a restraining order on the individual - I would speak to a lawyer first (of Citizens Advice Beaureau) to see if you are likely to succeed.

Ultimately I suspect nothing will happen so you have the choice of working out how to move or living with the noise / smell / harassment. I'm just basing this on what I've known of similar situations (incuding myself) in the past.

Unless you are good mates with a local hood who can put the fear of being beaten up into the neighbour of course, but that would be immoral...maybe even illegal.

• I’ve had issues with a neighbour for 3.5 years (cannabis, loud music and harassment).

It sounds like these are all borderline offences which is why the police won't act. Cannabis is quite legal now, loud music is still acceptable within some hours, depending on the decibels of the noise and harassment is difficult to quantify.

If it is down to your Housing Assocication then I would get a copy of their rules, ask them for a clear explantion of the complaints process and begin documenting the issues with video footage to back it up.

Once you have a clearly documented dossary of evidence then present it to the council, preferrably with the support of a number of other neighbours. Chase them weekly until you get a result one way or another.

In the meantime you could see if there is enough evidence collected to put together a restraining order on the individual - I would speak to a lawyer first (of Citizens Advice Beaureau) to see if you are likely to succeed.

Ultimately I suspect nothing will happen so you have the choice of working out how to move or living with the noise / smell / harassment. I'm just basing this on what I've known of similar situations (incuding myself) in the past.

Unless you are good mates with a local hood who can put the fear of being beaten up into the neighbour of course, but that would be immoral...maybe even illegal.

Children
No Data