tooth and gum decay

I've struggled with dental pain since my teens (I'm now 27). Recently, I phoned my local dentist to see if they were taking on NHS patients. They were not. I also have really bad sensory difficulties surrounding dental appointments. My life is hard enough without having to deal with recurring excurciating pain. Any tips for distractions, soothing techniques, meds? Thank you.

Parents Reply Children
  • tbh britain and british people have a stereotype that our teeth are bad and wonky and brown...

there could be a vitamin d thing in that because britain is cloudy and has no sun so people of britain would lack vitamin d naturally more than anywhere else on the planet, thus the lowest natural vitamin d place such as britain rightly earns its stereotype of having bad teeth, it could be due to the lack of natural vitamin d due to our climate.

• I tried a lot of things, took a lot of advice, over the last 60 years, and I remember keeping my mouth squeaky clean but the plaque used to form out of nowhere so fast... 

Then I started this stuff, and the process (way too late) stopped.

It's like some people and me can eat exactly the same diet but they will get fat and I won't.

Unlike the prevailing medical/social theory du jour we are NOT all identical fungible units stamped off a press, and clearly I've had a vitamin D deficiency most of my life.

I also no longer seem to get colds since I started the vitamin but this thread is about teeth.

I actually found that brushing as directed seemed to accelerate the deterioration of my teeth, like you suggest and switched to listerine which does nothing for appearance but actually seemed to preserve my teeth longer than brushing. as a kid EVERY SINGE checkup seemed to require a bloody filling, and the other kids were not having the same experience. 

But sugar consumption has also been a major factor. I stopped taking sugar in my tea in my early thirties, which had a measurable beneficial effect, but even so, nowadays my teeth feel so generally smooth and plaque free in a way I do not remember experiencing before.   

• i think it might depend on diet.

if you eat apples that is very acidic and will erode any enamel pretty fast... same as if your a constant daily drinker of lots of fizzy drinks too.

and also my mum was wearing away her enamel and the dentist said the cause was that she was brushing her teeth too hard, so if you brush too hard that will wipe your enamel out.