My son is obese and I am so responsible

Hi , my little boy who is 6 and has autism is very overweight . We have had to buy him age 10-11 elasticacted school trousers. I feel awful , I know he has such an issue with food and that he only eats a handful of things but most are the wrong things, he hasn't really wanted do much through the holidays, he has been swimming a few times and just explodes if things don't go his way. I feel exhausted all the time and to be honest I give in to him very easy. I know all the things I should do , for one not buy the pigging stuff. (Crisps and chocolate biscuits) .

i suppose I just wondered if anyone who had been through the same and could give me any strategies that they had used to help their children.

I feel like a complete failure as a mum , I'm supposed to be giving him the best in life instead I'm turning him into an overweight little boy who will probably end up with health problems if I don't handle it now. His waist measures 31 inches , which shocked the hell out of me.

sorry for going on and Thankyou for reading

Parents
  • Remember that young people on the spectrum, because of social skills and coordination issues, won't get picked for the football team. That is to say they wont get the opportunity to participate in the energy burn off activities of their peers, and may indeed, for reasons like sensory issues or bullying, not want to. So they have less chance of being physically active.

With meltdowns, don't just look at potential immediate causes. There may be multiple factors causing anxiety on top of which small additional crises can trigger a meltdown. These longer term factors may be a reason for comfort eating.

Is he being bullied at school, and particularly are they making an issue of his size, which could become self fulfilling? But girth versus ridicule for being ASC-odd may be preferable, so living up to the fat boy image huurts less than being ridiculed for the disability.

Check for really bad fat content foods, of which digestives, hobnobs etc, chocolate or otherwise, are very high, worse than crisps.

• Remember that young people on the spectrum, because of social skills and coordination issues, won't get picked for the football team. That is to say they wont get the opportunity to participate in the energy burn off activities of their peers, and may indeed, for reasons like sensory issues or bullying, not want to. So they have less chance of being physically active.

With meltdowns, don't just look at potential immediate causes. There may be multiple factors causing anxiety on top of which small additional crises can trigger a meltdown. These longer term factors may be a reason for comfort eating.

Is he being bullied at school, and particularly are they making an issue of his size, which could become self fulfilling? But girth versus ridicule for being ASC-odd may be preferable, so living up to the fat boy image huurts less than being ridiculed for the disability.

Check for really bad fat content foods, of which digestives, hobnobs etc, chocolate or otherwise, are very high, worse than crisps.

Children
No Data