Impending blood test

Hi. Looking for any advice  anyone may have. My son is due to have a blood test to check iorn levels but he is sooooo protective of himself he is unwilling for anyone to touch him, especially if he has hurt himself. We are going for introduction visit at the hospital but I'm still not convinced that when the time comes he will willingly let the blood taken. If anyone ahs any thoughts or suggestions  - please let mw know!

Parents
  • I'm bad with needles - I explain to the nurse how I prefer to have it done - for them the do all the prep out of sight, do the swabbing and the tight band etc. (I look the other way) and chat to me about crap to distract my brain.

Then they tell me the second before the needle goes in so I know not to flinch - almost all of the sensory brain processing goes to the dot where the needle is stuck in - I can force myself to hold still for the short time they take the blood by tapping my foot on the ground. (I notice i hold my breath too). Some nurses get me to chat to them about stuff too to divert my brain's attention. Anything is good - the more inane the better - holidays etc.

My health problems mean I get to have lots of blood tests and it never gets any easier for me.

Some nurses are good with needles - I barely feel it - some are awful.

I feel absolutely knackered afterwards.

• I'm bad with needles - I explain to the nurse how I prefer to have it done - for them the do all the prep out of sight, do the swabbing and the tight band etc. (I look the other way) and chat to me about crap to distract my brain.

Then they tell me the second before the needle goes in so I know not to flinch - almost all of the sensory brain processing goes to the dot where the needle is stuck in - I can force myself to hold still for the short time they take the blood by tapping my foot on the ground. (I notice i hold my breath too). Some nurses get me to chat to them about stuff too to divert my brain's attention. Anything is good - the more inane the better - holidays etc.

My health problems mean I get to have lots of blood tests and it never gets any easier for me.

Some nurses are good with needles - I barely feel it - some are awful.

I feel absolutely knackered afterwards.

Children
No Data