Impending blood test

Hi. Looking for any advice  anyone may have. My son is due to have a blood test to check iorn levels but he is sooooo protective of himself he is unwilling for anyone to touch him, especially if he has hurt himself. We are going for introduction visit at the hospital but I'm still not convinced that when the time comes he will willingly let the blood taken. If anyone ahs any thoughts or suggestions  - please let mw know!

• I'm bad with needles - I explain to the nurse how I prefer to have it done - for them the do all the prep out of sight, do the swabbing and the tight band etc. (I look the other way) and chat to me about crap to distract my brain.

Then they tell me the second before the needle goes in so I know not to flinch - almost all of the sensory brain processing goes to the dot where the needle is stuck in - I can force myself to hold still for the short time they take the blood by tapping my foot on the ground. (I notice i hold my breath too). Some nurses get me to chat to them about stuff too to divert my brain's attention. Anything is good - the more inane the better - holidays etc.

My health problems mean I get to have lots of blood tests and it never gets any easier for me.

Some nurses are good with needles - I barely feel it - some are awful.

I feel absolutely knackered afterwards.

• When repackaged in a non-branded container, anything hand creamy can become "magic cream" as if by "magic" ;-).

• Can you tell me the name of the magic cream?

• My two year old is due for a blood test soon it's for genetic testing. I'm terrified for him becasue he wont let other people touch him and when they put that needle in him i know for a fact he wont keep still. Maybe that magic cream might help. 

• time will tell, be calm, get the person taking the blood to be extra kind and gentle to him, smile, talk about what you are going to do after the test, get an ice-cream or something nice.

Failing all that, get the professionals to come up with a strategy to deal with it,, not your direct problem to worry about.

Good luck

• Hi i don't know if this will help as you don't say how old your son is but my son had blood tests age 5.  I was terrified for him but it turned out to be fine.  My husband went to the hospital a few days before to collect 'magic cream' which I put on my son before we went for the appointment.  When we got there, they sat him on my lap and his arm was tucked behind me.  I read him a favourite story and he didn't even realise the test had been done.  It was all ok.  I hope this helps.

• Hi - can understand your concern.  My son is afraid of needles + has been shocked in the past to see blood being drawn from another person.  I would contact his Doctor if you haven't already, either your GP or whoever the relevant medical person is at the hospital to see if they have procedures in place to help.  My son hasn't had to have a blood test as yet.  He had to have a cannula inserted for a dental procedure but had to inhale a relaxing gas 1st.  He was prepared for this part of the procedure + obliged.  It relaxes the patient a lot.  They were subtle inserting the cannula - he was lying down.  He did notice but was too relaxed/sleepy to be bothered.  Maybe they can do something similar for your son?  Others may have more relevant info.