Coping with noise

How do you cope with noise, not just loud noises but just noise in general like traffic, dogs barking or one that really sends me in to sensory overload is the sound of pen and pencil on paper. At school I hear that every day when I'm there. I'm in sixth form now and dreading that after summer. I did try ear plugs but found I couldn't focus as well because all I could feel was them in my ears and it distracted me and made me feel uneasy.

It's not just school. I hear dogs bark. Buses make that ssss sound when they stop. And people out are just extremely loud and seem to be in a constant shouting match.

Why can't the world be quieter?

Parents
  • I spend most of my alone time with headphones on, listening to music or a book, for this very reason - random noisy moments irritate me.  I don't get meltdowns very often but it can be the starting point of something later in the day.

The world is, as you say, too noisy at times

• I spend most of my alone time with headphones on, listening to music or a book, for this very reason - random noisy moments irritate me.  I don't get meltdowns very often but it can be the starting point of something later in the day.

The world is, as you say, too noisy at times

Children
No Data