Coping with noise

How do you cope with noise, not just loud noises but just noise in general like traffic, dogs barking or one that really sends me in to sensory overload is the sound of pen and pencil on paper. At school I hear that every day when I'm there. I'm in sixth form now and dreading that after summer. I did try ear plugs but found I couldn't focus as well because all I could feel was them in my ears and it distracted me and made me feel uneasy.

It's not just school. I hear dogs bark. Buses make that ssss sound when they stop. And people out are just extremely loud and seem to be in a constant shouting match.

Why can't the world be quieter?

• I spend most of my alone time with headphones on, listening to music or a book, for this very reason - random noisy moments irritate me.  I don't get meltdowns very often but it can be the starting point of something later in the day.

The world is, as you say, too noisy at times

• Ear plugs were rather annoying when I first started using them. Eventually after a great deal of use they became associated with a different type of comfort. But I use Etymotic ear plugs. They're apparently back-stocked in the UK and not available for 3 months from what I've heard though.

But honestly, the only thing to do in a world which is noisier than ever is either live remote or buy soundproofing. Musicians usually save up to buy a small portable sound proof box. Could be worth the investment if you can't move? Mind, they can start at 1500 and get as expensive as one can dream up. Whisper Booths price between 7k-25k LOL

• I'm sorry to hear that your step mum isn't supportive of your diagnosis. That must be really difficult and I hope you have other family members who are supportive.

Ear defenders can be purchased for around £10 from Amazon or eBay. Definitely speak to your teachers about it. 

If you decide to progress to further education you should be able to apply for Disabled Students Allowance which would cover things like noise cancelling headphones.

• Totally agree with you I don't understand it either, why would anyone enjoy loud noises?

I'm sorry to hear that it's caused you a lot of meltdowns. It affects me that way as well especially at school always so much going on and so many different noises, the worst is the school bell I hate that.

I'm glad you have music in your ear. I like music and I feel that must be soothing for you. I can't stand the feel of things in my ears so I can't listen to it at school but I do have it playing when I'm at home and outside.

• It sounds like we experience this the same. I'm sorry for you, it's horrible isn't it.

I've looked at noise cancelling headphones and they are so expensive but the cheap ones have bad reviews. Thing is my step mum doesn't believe in asd and she'll never buy them for me. I'll have to wait and save up to get some.

The other thing is I'm not sure I'd be allowed to wear over head ones in class as well. I might speak to my teachers and see what they say.

Thanks for replying I appreciate it :) 

• Why can't the world be quieter?

You’ve summed up one of my main questions in life with this one. Who even enjoys the loudness of anything anyway? It just seems unfathomable to me.

Noise sensitivity is one of my greatest challenges in my experience. It had been the trigger for so many meltdowns in the past.

As Autonomistic said, I wish I knew the answer too.

My own noises don’t seem to bother me as much as the noises you described (engines being the worst for me). So due to this, I make use of music whenever I need to step out into the wild. Music when taking the bins out, music when going to the super markets, music when walking near a road etc. it’s not perfect, but it helps enough to mitigate some of the negative side effects I experience due to noise.

• I wish I knew the answer to that question as I am extremely noise sensitive too.

Dog barking is the one that's causing me major issues currently, the high pitched yapping from the smaller terrier dogs I find unbearable. I have posted on here about it recently and you may find a solution that works for you in one of those discussions.

Dreading a noise is something I can relate to. I experience a fear of the noise as well as a sensory overload from it. 

Like you I do not like the physical sensation of having something in my ear. I can only tolerate them for short periods of time. The other problem I have with the solutions I have tried so far is that they seem to amplify my own internal body sensations. I then get further sensory overload from the sound of my own heart pounding and the blood rushing inside my head.

You could try wearing ear defenders. I find I can tolerate these when sat down. However if I try to walk while wearing them I do not like the sensation. It feels as if every footstep reverberates throughout my whole body.

The other over ear option is noise cancelling headphones. I have a fairly cheap pair that have some effect, but do not block out the noise anywhere near as much I would like. I think to get decent noise cancelling it is necessary to spend more, the better ones seem to cost upwards of £200. I am currently researching options as it is a lot to spend and I want to make sure I make the right choice. 

Wearing either of the above may cause you an issue when you are in college lessons and need to hear what the teacher is saying. There are some solutions which still allow you to hear sounds but dampened down, such as Loop and Flare. However both of those are in ear.