Vegan food is great!

These are vegan sausages i used to make a vegan sausage casserole.

Parents
  • How is this thread relevant to autism?

• It is under Health and Lifestyle.

• It is obvious from humans not having the large abdomen and long gut of great apes, who are essentially fructivore/herbivores, that humans are adapted to omnivory.  Apes are 'hind gut fermenters' they have large colons where commensal microbes help to break down cellulose and other plant polysaccharides. The colon is 17-23% of total gut volume in humans, while it is 52-54% in orangutans and chimpanzees. The take home message from comparative anatomy is that omnivory, including some fish and meat, is a more suitable diet for humans, than strict herbivory. 

• It is completely different. Ethical and religious reasons are not the same and, despite all religions teaching compassion, very few religious people truly show it. So, their religious practice is rarely ethical.

• It has some similarities. Foods that are acceptable and those that are not, parallels Judaism, Islam and Hinduism. It also has a fanatical wing that is not above breaking the law.

• Veganism is not a religion.

• I'm a biologist and terms have definite meanings in science. 

• I meant of value. I thought that would be clear. Maybe not.

• Not just about preservatives, it is completely devoid of nutrients, so contains no nutritional value whatsoever.

That is categorically not true. Any type of food that humans can digest has nutritional value. Any food containing carbohydrates that can be metabolised, ultimately to glucose, provides energy in the form of adenosine triphosphate (ATP), fats and oils are broken down into lipids, which can also provide energy or the building blocks of lipid cell membranes etc., proteins are broken down into amino acids which are usually used to create human proteins, but can also be used to provide energy.

A 'Big Mac' contains carbohydrates, fats and proteins, therefore it has nutrients. You have confused 'nutrients' and 'nutrition' with an 'ideal diet'. An ideal diet has a great deal of variety, and contains all the necessary vitamins, minerals and trace elements for long term health. The ideal diet would consist of a variety of vegetables, fruits, cereals and modest amounts of meat and/or fish/seafood.

• Oh I'm really sorry, I don't know where you are getting your (research) information, but it is very misinformed. Veganism is NOT a religion and never has been. It is a social justice movement, and vegans believe every living being has a right to their own autonomy. Especially as what is taken from animals (their autonomy, and their lives) is unnecessary with healthy and more sustainable alternatives, from food to cars to building materials etc.
    The only connection between veganism and religion is the law they share when it comes to discrimination.

• Oh I'm really sorry, I don't know where you are getting your (research) information, but it is very misinformed. Veganism is NOT a religion and never has been. It is a social justice movement, and vegans believe every living being has a right to their own autonomy. Especially as what is taken from animals (their autonomy, and their lives) is unnecessary with healthy and more sustainable alternatives, from food to cars to building materials etc.
    The only connection between veganism and religion is the law they share when it comes to discrimination.

Children