Trying to improve my health and lifestyle

Hi

Trying to get healthy makes me feel more unhealthy. I was on klonopin for 9 years and titrated off about a year go. I lost a lot of weight, about 60 pounds through diet and exercise. The whole process felt terrible. The withdrawal was awful but also the weight loss was tough. I work a night shift job that is pretty physical too and that was really hard on my body. Not to mention making it hard for me to fall asleep at night. I live nyc with my husband because he went to school here. He just graduated this May and is now looking for a job. I really don't like living here because it is sooo stimulating- the people, the crowds, the lights. I am from a small rural town so I still experience culture shock, but now its just kind of like a depression. I want to get back on the klonopin but I know that is a bad idea. I used to use over exercising to cope with the stress and anxiety but I had to stop because it was making me REALLY messed up. (angry, moody, too low body fat, no periods, ect...) I don't know how to be okay here in NYC with this fast lifestyle where you are never left alone. Im not sure what to do, or what else I can change.

• I can relate as I struggle a lot with weight loss (unintentional), ARFID, digestive issues and overexercising (though can't really at moment)... I think the root cause is the stress and anxiety but of course all the above issues then cause further stress so that doesn't help... Are you getting any time where you unwind? Is there any activity you really like to do that helps you relax? (I know it's so hard- I still haven't found anything apart from outdoors and exercise which really helps me unwind... though lately I found sudokos somewhat calming especially if also listening to an audiobook... it's like a dual thing for my brain to do so it somehow dims some of the thoughts... if I just listen to an audiobook or so I basically can just switch off the audiobook in my brain and just go into my anxious thoughts anyways...). 

• Most major cities are like Cattle markets. Rural living is much healthier and more serene. Common sense. 

I do eat a lot of junk, but I take health supplements. And am begging to grow my own Spuds and Tomatoes. When the student's ready, the teacher appears. 

• Don't smoke, eat healthily, exercise regularly, and go easy on the alcohol, and you are likely not only to have fewer chronic health problems, but also to live longer, according to a new study from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that concludes neglecting to follow these four healthy behaviors.

[link removed by moderator]

• Good article. I mostly lead a sedentary lifestyle, because if work, so I often suffer from back pain.

• Do you have family you can escape to for stretches at a time? NYC is great if you have a purpose there. Maybe with an art gallery or a book shop. I was there for a week and it was too much. I've lived in LA and in London which are a little more tolerable with open public spaces one can retreat to. It may be important to spend a month back home if you can or with a friend in the middle of nowhere to regroup. 

• My hobbies require me to have a decent fitness level. I also feel better when I'm working out. Knee pain and back pain seem subside when I am getting after it. They come on when I am sedentary. I love to read inspirational articles like  https://betterme.world/articles/what-is-the-cause-of-love-handles/ that help me structure all the infor I know on being in shape
  • Try to establish the regiment, follow a precise helthy diet and get socialized. Hope you'll be okay!