Hygiene

My son is 15 and diagnosed with Autism. He absolutely hates washing, brushing teeth etc. I have tried all different types of deodorant sprays roll ons different scents you name it I've done it.  

Part of it is sensory He hates the feeling going from hot to cold etc, part of it well I'm not sure He just won't. He is beginning to become a bit pongy but he doesn't seem to care. He prefers his hair greasy which can sometimes smell not to fresh. He is also getting fungal skin infections, not sore but brown patches of skin on his body which he has cream for now.

I'm looking for ideas and advice if anyone has had to deal with this situation and if they have found something that works I would be grateful. Or if anyone feels the same about hygiene as he does could you please share how you deal with it. 

Thank you

• It is very sad to hear that your son completely refuses to wash. But I think even in such a situation, you can come up with an interesting solution. For example, you can try to bribe your son. Find out what your son likes to eat the most and every time he takes care of his body hygiene, give him that very food. Although instead of food, you can come up with something else, for example, stars or coins, which at the end of the week can be exchanged for a trip to McDonald's or a toy. Perhaps you should change the soap to another one, for example, a paraben free soap or a soap with an interesting shape. In general, I am sure that if you approach the problem creatively, then you will succeed!

• Give him the option,. Learn to brush your teeth twice a day after food or have them become smelly like poo, rot away and fall out and not be able to eat.

• I just take the shower head off the rail and point it at the wall till its reached the right temperature.

• The issue for showers, with me, is that they begin cold as ice; and only progress into warmth.

• Hi there. 

Washing: Are there alternatives to showering and bathing that he would tolerate? Because the bits that smell are the arm pits and the feet. Would your son tolerate wet wipes on those parts? Does your son like swimming and use that for washing instead.

Cleaning teeth. I would go with Peter's comments about different choices of brush and toothpaste.

Greasy hair. I'm guessing that he's not keen to het a haircut either? Cos a short haircut would not look so greasy. I've never used it but would he tolerate a dry shampoo product.

Deoderants. My mum can't wear deodorants because she has multiple skin allergies, she just uses perfume instead. For your son, what is it about deodorants that affect his sensory sensitivities? 

I guess also, is it because he goes to school that it is worrying you? My daughter isn't really into deodorant and it is the smelling at school that worries me, otherwise I try and accept her smell as much as I can. 

Take care,

Mrs Snooks

• Contrary to popular belief warm soapy water is just as good as hot for most purposes hygienic. If sprays etc are a problem why not stick with plane unsented soap. Personally I find an electric toothbrush more comfortable than old fashioned manual ones. And many brands of toothpaste don’t have mint etc so use those plane ones. Showers may be easier than baths, the temperature can be adjusted quite precisely for comfort. And a no tears unsented combined shampoo and conditioner with the use of a shampoo shield might persuade him to wash his hair in the shower.