Does anyone else deal with being both sound sensitive and needing audio to stop thinking?

I suspect this is going to be one of those things that's because of ADHD and Autism mixing but I'm very sensitive to repetitive or aggressive sounds so I have to find ways to block them while I also have a need to have music or audiobooks playing because my mind starts to race when it's too quiet and I catastrophize and get panic attacks/meltdowns.

Aggressive sounds is probably the wrong term but it's how I think of them, basically, dogs barking, hoover sounds, power tools, banging, shouting in the street/house, sirens, my dad sneezing and for some reason needing to scream to do so.

The way I deal with it right now is I simply always have headphones on, earphones in, or a speaker right by me playing either music or an audiobook/podcast. There are times such as when I need maximum concentration I can't do either and I will wear earplugs. 

Anyone have any alternative ways to deal with it where I won't get complaints of being rude / possibly learn to have a quieter mind?

Parents
  • I'm very sensitive to repetitive or aggressive sounds so I have to find ways to block them

I wear earplugs all the time. I can't leave the house without them. Well, I can leave the house without them, but it's not a pleasant experience for me. I can happily do all the normal outside things in noisy places with noisy people if I have my earplugs in to cut them and the background noises and chatter out.

I often have to wear them in the house too to cancel out noises from outside or inside. I have the landline turned down to its lowest setting, and rarely hear it ring. The same is true for the doorbell. I wear them when people come to visit too. 

I can't sleep without wearing earplugs either—as well as a sleep mask, too, to block out all light.

I also have a need to have music or audiobooks playing because my mind starts to race when it's too quiet and I catastrophize and get panic attacks/meltdowns.

No, this does not happen to me fortunately. I don't have ADHD, so I'm guessing that may be the cause of it for you. The two conditions clashing as you describe. 

I find the silence really peaceful. And I relax instantly upon putting my earplugs in. My mind takes it as a cue to get silent itself, similar to hearing a temple bell chime and then entering into a meditative state.

There are some tiny inconveniences, though. I play piano and guitar, and for piano that can be a problem, because I have to constantly remember to take them out! I wonder sometimes why I'm playing so quietly, and then I remember I have earplugs in. Sometimes, when I play guitar it takes ten minutes to work out why it sounds too low too!

I've never thought about noise cancellation headphones as I wear really good sound engineer headphones for all my composition and music production, so I would be reluctant to have to wear headphones more than I already do, but the thought of them does appeal.

No, you're not strange at all.

Music is my salvation and I play and listen to it all day long (apart from heavy metal or rap music which has the disturbing effects as loud and background noiseI think it must be the high-pitched screaming in metal music and shrieking and the talking-voices in rap).

I'm quite happy to have my headphones on and listen to music without earplugs, but then as soon as I stop listening to music, in go the earplugs.

Mykal x

• I can happily do all the normal outside things in noisy places with noisy people if I have my earplugs in to cut them and the background noises and chatter out.

I'm the same with this one but substitute earplugs for earphones. I've done that ever since I was about 10 and got my first pair of in-ear headphones and even grew my hair long for a lot of my early life so I could hide them without being shouted at in school and such.

No, this does not happen to me fortunately. I don't have ADHD, so I'm guessing that may be the cause of it for you. The two conditions clashing as you describe. 

Yeah, this was mentioned in my ADHD report too so likely the reason, I do also have a general anxiety disorder so doesn't help either.

I've never thought about noise cancellation headphones as I wear really good sound engineer headphones for all my composition and music production

I don't really know how much they will help but I think they may be a good middle-ground for me. I can play music through them but if I need to concentrate for a bit I press pause and I can get a better silence than the passive one offered by my current ones. I'm not sure, I may have to see if I can find someone I can borrow them from to try.

Music is my salvation and I play and listen to it all day long (apart from heavy metal or rap music which has the disturbing effects as loud and background noise

It's funny you mention rap and metal music there, id not thought on that one, I do actually like metal but all the stuff I listen to is more melodic with clean vocals, such as symphonic metal, folk metal etc, and as soon as anyone does screamy vocals I'm out never to return. My friends always found that confusing and suddenly I think I know why. I also hate rap, I don't know why but you might have hit the nail on the head.

• I can happily do all the normal outside things in noisy places with noisy people if I have my earplugs in to cut them and the background noises and chatter out.

I'm the same with this one but substitute earplugs for earphones. I've done that ever since I was about 10 and got my first pair of in-ear headphones and even grew my hair long for a lot of my early life so I could hide them without being shouted at in school and such.

Yeah, this was mentioned in my ADHD report too so likely the reason, I do also have a general anxiety disorder so doesn't help either.

I've never thought about noise cancellation headphones as I wear really good sound engineer headphones for all my composition and music production

I don't really know how much they will help but I think they may be a good middle-ground for me. I can play music through them but if I need to concentrate for a bit I press pause and I can get a better silence than the passive one offered by my current ones. I'm not sure, I may have to see if I can find someone I can borrow them from to try.

Music is my salvation and I play and listen to it all day long (apart from heavy metal or rap music which has the disturbing effects as loud and background noise

It's funny you mention rap and metal music there, id not thought on that one, I do actually like metal but all the stuff I listen to is more melodic with clean vocals, such as symphonic metal, folk metal etc, and as soon as anyone does screamy vocals I'm out never to return. My friends always found that confusing and suddenly I think I know why. I also hate rap, I don't know why but you might have hit the nail on the head.

Children
No Data