Masking Fatigue - Back into the "real world"

Hi all,

I have a very customer-facing job, and pre-lockdown was able to mask whilst at work fairly successfully, though it was exhausting at times. I have the advantage of spending a lot of the day by myself as well, and so was able to use this time to "recharge" before going back into the customer-facing environment. Over lockdown my role has been predominantly at home doing meetings over Skype/Zoom/Teams etc., but now that I'm working face-to-face more and more I feel like I've regressed massively. Masking seems to take orders of magnitude more effort than it did before lockdown. I realise that this could probably be put down to lack of practise, but it is concerning me.

Has anyone else had this experience? Please tell me it's not just me...

Parents
  • I can cope with normies fine. However, when anxious, I can excruciate myself.

This afternoon I was in a Post Office to post a Mass Card - for the death of a former Lecturer of mine who died of cancer - and there was an elderly woman in front of me posting several parcels. I found it a challenge to remain calm. However, I can appreciate that it might be her only way of communicating with loved-ones abroad. But I was still having kittens.

• I can cope with normies fine. However, when anxious, I can excruciate myself.

This afternoon I was in a Post Office to post a Mass Card - for the death of a former Lecturer of mine who died of cancer - and there was an elderly woman in front of me posting several parcels. I found it a challenge to remain calm. However, I can appreciate that it might be her only way of communicating with loved-ones abroad. But I was still having kittens.

Children
No Data