Masking Fatigue - Back into the "real world"

Hi all,

I have a very customer-facing job, and pre-lockdown was able to mask whilst at work fairly successfully, though it was exhausting at times. I have the advantage of spending a lot of the day by myself as well, and so was able to use this time to "recharge" before going back into the customer-facing environment. Over lockdown my role has been predominantly at home doing meetings over Skype/Zoom/Teams etc., but now that I'm working face-to-face more and more I feel like I've regressed massively. Masking seems to take orders of magnitude more effort than it did before lockdown. I realise that this could probably be put down to lack of practise, but it is concerning me.

Has anyone else had this experience? Please tell me it's not just me...

Parents
  • I haven't had it with work, as I work from home, but the few face-to-face social interactions I've had with friends since the pandemic began have been utterly exhausting. I also had to attend a hospital appointment the other week about face pains, it wasn't anything particularly hard or worrying, but I came back from it completely physically, mentally and emotionally spent, and stayed that way for a couple of days.

I wonder if masking is a little like exercise, if you get out of the habit of it, it'll take you a while to build up the same stamina as you had before? 

• I haven't had it with work, as I work from home, but the few face-to-face social interactions I've had with friends since the pandemic began have been utterly exhausting. I also had to attend a hospital appointment the other week about face pains, it wasn't anything particularly hard or worrying, but I came back from it completely physically, mentally and emotionally spent, and stayed that way for a couple of days.

I wonder if masking is a little like exercise, if you get out of the habit of it, it'll take you a while to build up the same stamina as you had before? 

Children