Facial Tic Armageddon

Argh.

Hello people. I'm at my wit's end, so have come here for advice. My tics started when I was roughly 19, a small narrowing of an eyebrow or twitch of the nose. I just turned 34 and for nearly the past year they're worse than ever: big flaring of the nostrils. clenched teeth, but mainly a huge, hard grimace that is so tight it hurts my eyes and gives me headaches. Basically this:

...except my teeth aren't as good. ;)

This happens several times a minute at its worst, and is etching lines into my skin. I gave up a job in front of a camera some years ago because of it and it wasn't even this bad. Doctors suggest counselling but then nothing comes of it, I'm on sertraline and didn't start medication until the age of around 25. Does anybody have any tips? I'm going steadily more insane.

THanks in advance!

Parents
  • I do wonder if sertraline would be useless in this situation as I'm always stretching other parts of my body now. Hands under the table, legs, arms. Not sure why I do it or if it is related to anxiety at all

• I do wonder if sertraline would be useless in this situation as I'm always stretching other parts of my body now. Hands under the table, legs, arms. Not sure why I do it or if it is related to anxiety at all

Children
  • I'm afraid I've no experience of medication, that is another whole discussion topic (i am terrified of loss of control) .  Anyway, i use a kind of stretch and ping where i flex a muscle and let go quickly.  It doesn't even feel nice, it just feels like a compulsion or a build up of tension.  I am hyper sensory so maybe there is a build up of tension or a feeling in my nerves or muscles.