Trouble with face masks

On Monday face masks became mandatory on public transport and in small spaces. I have tried wearing a face mask but really struggle with it. Partly it is the feel of my own breath on my face and the dampness of it, as well as the scratchy material behind the ears. But I can barely wear a face covering for twenty seconds before I have to take it off. Strangely it's the fact that my nose and mouth are covered and I have to breathe through those, but having the mask there makes me think that I can't breathe (sorry if that sentence makes no sense).

I know certain people are exempt from face coverings, including those with a "physical or mental illness or impairment". But I'm only mildly autistic and nobody would even guess that I'm autistic unless I told them, so I fear that if I didn't wear a face mask I would get penalised for it. Also I hate thinking of autism as a mental illness.

Anyone else struggling with face masks, or have any tips for coping with them? I have to take a train to the hospital next Friday and I'm truly dreading the journey.

Parents
  • I don't understand the whole mask thing - even the WHO admit they are useless to prevent viruses and are only a placebo for the masses.

The N95 labelling now specifically states that it offers no protection from WuFlu.

If it bothers you, get a sunflower lanyard to signify hidden disabilities and do without if you are comfortable being confined with all the other people around you - who will probably freak out because they have been programmed to be terrified.

I'm taking the easy option - I refuse to go anywhere that wants to treat me like cattle.

• I don't understand the whole mask thing - even the WHO admit they are useless to prevent viruses and are only a placebo for the masses.

The N95 labelling now specifically states that it offers no protection from WuFlu.

If it bothers you, get a sunflower lanyard to signify hidden disabilities and do without if you are comfortable being confined with all the other people around you - who will probably freak out because they have been programmed to be terrified.

I'm taking the easy option - I refuse to go anywhere that wants to treat me like cattle.

Children
  • Masks do help to reduce transmission, since the virus spreads primarily through respiratory droplets, and indirectly through surfaces. Everyone who can, should really be wearing a face covering of some sort if they go out. 

• N95 or P2R doesnt give 100% protection, it has too large a micron mesh/filter gauge.  P3R or N100 do.  Basically masks designed to stop asbestos do.  Ideally though you want carbon filters, but if you cant tolerate a fabric mask, then you will find a rubber half face impossible. 

But saying that my cousin says he doesnt wear anything when he goes shopping.  He is managing the Covid blood testing in Manchester and is one of the consultants in Virology over there.  The caveat is that he is healthy and has already had it.  He still takes precautions like if hes in a shop and someone starts coughing he leaves as quickly as possible and avoids going near that person.  but he says you cant truely avoid it if you leave your house.  You can only take precaustions to minimise exposure and keep washing your hands.

Any mask wont stop the virus getting in, but it will stop a person who is coughing from sending the droplets into the air.  The use of masks in asian culture is to stop people with colds from giving them to others.  It isnt to stop others getting them.

If you have health problems, then wear one.  if you are going on public transport, you could wear a keffiyeh or scarf.  It doesnt have to be a proper N100.  If you cant wear one, then just dont and say you have breathing issues.  Just be aware if you then get stopped by the police you will need to tell them you have autism and cant wear them.  Also if you are undiagnosed, dont expect to get away with it.

As for the WHO, I would take anything they say with a pinch of salt.  If they had declared it a pandemic earlier, then we wouldnt have been in such a mess now.  I remember watching on the news and that numpty head of the WHO everyday said it isnt a pandemic, even though Italy had a soaring death rate and then when it was totally impossible to put the genie back in the bottle he decalres it a pandemic.  I have to agree with Trump and I think they should be disbanded until a proper investigation is done on how they handled this and whether China meddled at all with the process.  They aren't fit for service as any sort of public health outfit.  i trust the guys at PHE and Porton Down more than I trust them.