Antidepressants

Hi, can anyone suggest an antidepressant that works for them? I’ve tried all sorts but the only one that works for me is venlafaxine but I had to come off it as I get the worst night sweats and they were destroying my sleep. I am now currently on clomipramine but this only helps with my OCD symptoms and doesn’t do much for my depression or anxiety. SSRIs don’t seem to work on me. Anyone found one that works for them? 

thank you 

Parents
  • Ok .. golly this is a 'bare all' kind of chat space isn't it .......

.. I had six months off work some 20 years ago with what was diagnosed as clinical depression .. I now see it as a symptom of being ASD/AS

.. I started off being resistant to the idea of meds .. eventually I realised I had to do something different because I just wasn't functioning - at work or elsewhere

.. the GP tried a bunch of different things .. starting with Amytriptyline !! which turned me into a grinning zombie who slept most of the time :-) .. fifth try lucky and finally onto Fluoxetine (Prozac) .. which suits me down to the ground

.. I function fine .. I have ups and downs but no major peaks or troughs .. I enjoy life again

.. I've had a couple of goes at coming off the meds .. each time I descended into a black swamp

.. so now I just accept I'm on a minimal dose for the foreseeable future .. and I'm ok with that .. 

• Ok .. golly this is a 'bare all' kind of chat space isn't it .......

.. I had six months off work some 20 years ago with what was diagnosed as clinical depression .. I now see it as a symptom of being ASD/AS

.. I started off being resistant to the idea of meds .. eventually I realised I had to do something different because I just wasn't functioning - at work or elsewhere

.. the GP tried a bunch of different things .. starting with Amytriptyline !! which turned me into a grinning zombie who slept most of the time :-) .. fifth try lucky and finally onto Fluoxetine (Prozac) .. which suits me down to the ground

.. I function fine .. I have ups and downs but no major peaks or troughs .. I enjoy life again

.. I've had a couple of goes at coming off the meds .. each time I descended into a black swamp

.. so now I just accept I'm on a minimal dose for the foreseeable future .. and I'm ok with that .. 

Children
  • Same experience here with escitalopram. 

I now see things in a very different way. I look for means to cooperate rather than passive aggressive sabotage. 

Initially there was a bit of weight gain, but with the lockdown I got that under control, burpees, and only eating when I'm hungry.

I see it as the lesser of two not so wonderful options... and every day you enjoy life again, is an extra day of pure profit...