Dealing with mental health (low moods and anxiety) by forgetting the past and improving my relationship with food/stop comfort eating

I am high-functioning on the autism spectrum, and currently I am doing a Masters degree in Library and Information Studies. I have been struggling with dealing with being resiliant and self-esteem since I have been bullied at school. I have managed to get good GCSEs, A Levels, and a good undergraduate degree, but I struggle to move forward from the past which has left with bad anxiety and comfort eating issues to make me forget them. Does anyone have any strategies about how to be more resiliant and not let a bad day encompass how you feel for a long time (meaning, how do you get through them without reminding yourself about them)?

Parents
  • Bless!

I was 45 before I was diagnosed, Many would say I coped very well  - but many of my coping mechanisms were entirely unsustainable in the long term.. It led to serious mental health problems in my 40s. My autism only really came to my attention as I watched my autistic son struggle - it's almost like watching myself as a child. Except this time, I can make sure that he has the support and understanding he deserves.

I was also bullied at school. All I can say is it all lies within you, CBT helped me. Anti-depressants, also, I have also struggled with addictive behaviors - but with me it is around alcohol and drugs. You sound young, You've been successful in your studies. Give yourself a break, Give yourself permission to be different, and structure your days as you need to. Bullies are always unhappy and insecure. It's all about them, and has nothing to do with you. Have compassion for yourself. You've clearly done well for yourself. There is no reason why you won't continue to do well.

I hope that helps, but do comment further if you feel the need to,

• Bless!

I was 45 before I was diagnosed, Many would say I coped very well  - but many of my coping mechanisms were entirely unsustainable in the long term.. It led to serious mental health problems in my 40s. My autism only really came to my attention as I watched my autistic son struggle - it's almost like watching myself as a child. Except this time, I can make sure that he has the support and understanding he deserves.

I was also bullied at school. All I can say is it all lies within you, CBT helped me. Anti-depressants, also, I have also struggled with addictive behaviors - but with me it is around alcohol and drugs. You sound young, You've been successful in your studies. Give yourself a break, Give yourself permission to be different, and structure your days as you need to. Bullies are always unhappy and insecure. It's all about them, and has nothing to do with you. Have compassion for yourself. You've clearly done well for yourself. There is no reason why you won't continue to do well.

I hope that helps, but do comment further if you feel the need to,

Children
  • People have the same opinions about me, they think I cope very well but I do not have good coping mechanisms I freeze or flight in the moment and then self-harm myself or cry which makes me feel embarrassed. I am glad that your son is getting support, hope it continues for you and your son at this moment in time.

The mental scars of bullying has not lefr me yet, and I have only just really understood it. I only had the instructions part of CBT and it did not work for me, and I have been told I might not need anti-depressants. I would like counselling though, do you know any online counselling sessions? 

I am glad that I have done well in my studies, but I feel like people only see that as evidence that I am fine. I do want a good future for myself but I sometimes feel like it is the only non-self harming thing that gets me through the day. I know I am different but I wish I do not have to explain it. I never want to see the bullies again.