What Happens If I Start A Thread About That "Coronavirus" Thing...?

Greetings, All... S'Me. Yes There is already a Thread about this, but I did not want to possibly invite whatever may happen upon this Thread onto another (innocent!) User, so, I begin this separate Thread here (a bit like My "Climate Change" Thread).

In social media this is currently a hot/constant topic, and rightly so... yet I have certain views concerning it which I was wondering about. Please try to be nice and I apologise in advance if I offend/anger anyone...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1233679/coronavirus-update-symptoms-flu-2020-china-flu-deaths

...Apologies that this is from "The Daily Express", but it is about the closest to what I M'self was thinking about this 'Coro-Flu'-Thing currently going on. Social Media *loves* to highlight Death, Destruction, Suffering, Contagion, etc. etc... but I have seen VERY few articles mentioning "survival rate" rather than "death rate" about Coro-Flu... and fewer articles pointing out that it is a version of INFLUENZA. 

I suffer badly from FLU Myself, and so do all of the things now recommended ("Social distancing", hand washing, etc.) as a matter of course. But now it is recommended for all to do...

In Japan, wearing face-masks is a common practice, for example. 

Also, in this Thread, I am carefully wondering about the following approach... Coro-Flu is just ordinary Influenza but has an "Identifiable Tag" of sorts; and that if *all* Influenza-s were able to be tracked in this way, then all of the statistics would be similar. (Regardless of starting point.)

...Pretty much post whatever You may want, anyone... I am seeking opinion. Even ordinary Influenza is not nice at all, but it is *not necessarily fatal*, and that is what was difficult to find out about this Coro-Flu-Thing.

• I've just woken up, having bizzare nightmares about trying to buy eggs.

In my dream I bought the last box of eggs in the shop.  half the eggs turned out to be the size of peas and the box itself was a couple of weeks out of date.

• And the coder's forum which I moderate has just been spam-bombed by a profiteer's bots shilling prescription anti-biotics. I'm quite surprised it hasn't happened sooner, now that I think of it.

• A few of the more bizarre consequences of the crisis (be warned; some rather depressing)... Cracked: Total Left-Field Weirdness Caused by Coronavirus.

• You could try smaller stores or international supermarkets as well. Also be willing to try things you don't normally eat.

• Its your best bet for finding food at the minute.  If not try and find a supermarket that opens 24/7 and go there at 5-6am.  They will usually have supplies available after restocking overnight.

I went to Asda yesterday looking for crumpets and yeast extract.  Zero of either available.  Its kind of like an easy food for me, even a meal if you eat 4 or so of them.  I found 4 packs of crumpets at tesco today.  Two are now sat in my freezer.  Havent got the yeast extract as I prefer the Asda own brand stuff over marmite.

• We were at Tescos at 7:30 this morning - took over 30 minutes just queueing for the tills!     They were rationing everything to a maximum of 2 of anything - even the stuff that was 'Buy 3 for £xx'.       And spending all that time confined in a tight space with a bunch of filthy strangers made it into a real 'dicing with death' experience.  Smiley

• I have been googling how to make oat milk, because I'm on my last litre of cow milk. And I'm supposed to work, rather than shop during the day. 

• It is getting a bit inconvenient for me and serious.

This evening I went out shopping and could not find any fresh eggs, I only have two left, fresh milk is also sold out, although I have 3 litres in my fridge and 7 litres of long life milk stored for emergencies.  Worst of all, Aldi had none of my favourite cheese and onion crisps! 

I will try shopping early tomorrow morning,  maybe the supermarkets will restock during the night.

• Today i was in Home Bargains and noticed they've run out of the most random things.  Someone aparrently bought up most of the alcohol in the store, maybe 300 quids worth.  Loads of cushions have been sold, like 20+ to one person.  Stockpiling alcohol I can understand, but cushions.  My favourite Nairns Oatcakes, the yellow boxed ones, all gone but 2 boxes.  Its just complete mayhem.  As for toilet rolls and hand sanitiser, forget about it.  Oh and went to Decathlon to buy an EZ Curl bar, except this morning between 9 and 10, a bunch of people emptied out the entire fitness section at Decathlon, bars, dumbbells and most amusing all the olympic weights, some of which go for 50 quid a plate.

Also all my outpatients appointments were cancelled, but I managed to talk to both consultants on the phone.  The first was the Autism place I got diagnosed at.  It was my follow up appointment to talk about my ADHD, which will now be rescheduled at some time in the future.  The other was for asthma.  Both are squared away for now.

, maybe go shopping wearing one of these. Stuck out tongue

• I find the world-wide obsession with loo-roll utterly perplexing. A single roll usually lasts me well over a week, so even scaling that up for a household of gluttons with several kids, I just cannot fathom why so many people think they need a trolley-full for a fortnight quarantine - it's not as if raging squits is a symptom of the virus. I fully expect it to become a classic case-study for sociologists researching human herd-mentality.

• The madness continues.

The toilet tissues at my local Waitrose have been sold out for days.

And now at Morrisson's, people have been filling up trolleys with everything,  then they find massive delays and queues at checkouts,  so they dump the full trolleys and walk out of the store.

• Likewise, I worry about the practicality of quarantining myself. The social aspect isn't so much of a problem for me, as it's pretty much my normal modus operandi, but my executive function deficits and living situation would make the advice extremely difficult to put into practice.

I live in a rented room (thankfully en-suite) in a back-to-back house shared with my landlady who is in a very high risk group due to serious physical disabilities. We have very little storage space to share, neither of us can drive, and both of our families are very distant. The only neighbour we know well is a gent in his 80's who is in just as difficult a position. My landlady has a regular visits from a community nurse, but neither of us gets any support from social services.

Food shopping for me usually involves a half-hour walk to the nearest supermarket (sensory nightmare!) to fill a ruck-sack with as much as I can carry - enough for about 3-4 days - and because of agoraphobia and executive deficits, it's already common that I go without food for a day or two because the thought of going shopping is so unbearable sometimes. Like you, I'm already underweight (enough that it's not unusual for people to comment about it and for it to concern my GP). As is so common for autistic people, I also have a pathological aversion to asking anyone for help.

Having groceries delivered isn't an easy option either. It's a huge change from a routine which took a long time to establish, and I feel the need to do it in person just to get at least a little exercise and to maintain at least a modicum of social skills. I get extremely anxious about paying for things on-line and find the supermarket's websites are a maze of bewildering sensory signals (it took me ages to get used to the new format here, and I still find the site perplexing sometimes). Since ordering in bulk is totally impractical, I would also incur delivery charges that would eat into my meagre income, and the shops which offer delivery are far more expensive than where I'd usually shop, too.

Of course, I would do my best to stick to the advice, as my sense of public duty is very strong; but I would almost certainly end up going hungry.

• I am also worried about the same things.  How long can I survive on oats? should i shop as infrequently as possible in larger quantities or more frequently in smaller quantities? has anyone does of starvation due to the isolation? Will my muscles waste away? Can i get scurvy or other vitamin deficiencies if I don't eat fruit ? I am already thin and don't have much buffer against weight loss. 

It's very accurate, what you say about being caged. I tend to be claustrophobic.

• wishin u calmness

• ...Greetings to All... finally... It is tempting to vote up *everyone* here, this Thread is メロメロ ("MellowMellow") so far. Maybe if things may get really bad that might change, yet so far this Thread is not so bad, and, anyway, more Threads have begun about the same subject also. As that Coro-Thing gets more intense...

I have opportunity to Post, just now. This Coro-thing is more scary to Me *not* because of the Virus itself but more upon the SOCIAL Effects - I am 'trapped' here in London, You see...

I was wondering about if anyone else has anything to say about the "Isolation" advice now being said... 

...Never mind the "advice" about social distancing or washing hands... but... if one is "quarantined"/"socially isolated"... how is a person supposed to get food or essentials if they run out? What if something breaks or fails or if a person has no Internet access? I keep seeing this in the news, and it might apply to Myself soon (I have Asthma - at least.)... I was thinking that such legal enforcements might as well be a CEMENT CAGE, if not allowed to "go outdoors" or eat nothing but Wheat with Tap Water. Also, again, if the food runs out or something breaks, then what happens...?

...Maybe this begs a New Thread...? But since it is 'My Thread' I s'pose I might do well to document the entire experience in just this one Thread. It is about 1/3 of the way through, I think. Yet with Me, SUMMER is coming, and I cannot cope very well with being in Polluted-London during high temperatures.

...Sorry, this turned into a bit of a RANT, but I do not get to log on that often. Best Wishes, All. 

• And yet so true. Stuck out tongue

I am not going to look at the news anymore.  Too depressing.  I will buy a newspaper once a week from now on.  Hopefully that stems the anxiety level a bit.

Oh and yes stockpile, ready for self exile from the world around me.  I'll come out once its safe or a vaccine is available.

• The new Passover has emerged, and Apple Cider Vinegar is our lamb's blood. Smiley