Sleep problems

My 13-year-old son has developed sleep problems. He takes to his bed to avoid things he finds difficult/stressful. 

This has damaged his sleep patterns and now he is not getting up to go to his special school.

He dismisses discussions about resetting sleep patterns, agrees to get up and go to school but come morning refuses or is unable to wake up.

Anyone out there with a magic wand.

Parents
  • Sounds like your boy has officially become a teenager lol.  I think you probably shouldn't make too big of a deal over this.  Yes it's not ideal, but I think it's very likely he'll grow out of it in time.  We tend to forget that children go from being children to near adults in just a few short years, a process that can be brutal and EXHAUSTING at times.  If you were growing at a rate of knots you'd be tired too!

• Sounds like your boy has officially become a teenager lol.  I think you probably shouldn't make too big of a deal over this.  Yes it's not ideal, but I think it's very likely he'll grow out of it in time.  We tend to forget that children go from being children to near adults in just a few short years, a process that can be brutal and EXHAUSTING at times.  If you were growing at a rate of knots you'd be tired too!

Children
  • Thanks for your reply. We have already got two teens through the 13 to 19 sulk and paint it black stage (25 and 21 now). Sammy's problems are way beyond neurotypical teenage angst. Our main issue is identifying the causes and addressing them. At the moment apart from following the guidance on resetting sleep patterns and having tried all the varying parenting techniques in our arsenal its currently back to relentless encouragement and kindness. Progress is slow bur hopefull. Just hoping for that magic wand answer. Its always good to share with other people in similar situations.